Please sign in to post.

Hotels In Rome

We will be visiting Rome in late June for 4 nights. I have no idea what neighborhood we should stay in. Close to the train station or the attractions? Any comments or suggestions? Thank you!

Posted by
23290 posts

It is a personal choice. We always stay (4 trips) in the Termini just for the convenience of local transit. At most it is a 20 minute walk to the center of the old Rome sites. You could walk to the Vatican in an hour or take a bus.

Posted by
32213 posts

Lisa, As Frank mentioned, it's mostly a personal preference and everyone here seems to have their favourite part of Rome. I also prefer to stay in the area around Termini station, as it's so convenient for transportation. The Metro or Buses are very convenient for getting to (or at least close) to the major sites. While it is possible to walk to many of the major attractions in Rome from Termini, I try to "pace myself" with walking and use public transit when possible. You might have a look at Hotel Sonya or Hotel Aberdeen to see if those will work for you. Happy travels!

Posted by
11613 posts

I prefer the Piazza Navona/Pantheon/Campo dei Fiori area. There is good surface transportation by bus to all the other areas, or you could walk to almost everything.

Posted by
348 posts

We stayed near Piazza Berberini. Close walk to Trevi, Spanish steps and Pantheon as well as a metro stop 100 yards away.

Posted by
8683 posts

Jewish Ghetto or Trastevere. Get hold of Rick's guidebook on Rome. LOADS of practical information including neighborhood descriptions. I'd also start looking at the Ron in Rome website.

Posted by
1127 posts

Let me throw another idea at you: Nicolas Inn the Monti area near the Forum.

Posted by
3551 posts

We stayed at comfortable and clean air cond. Hotel Aberdeen about 2 blocks from Termini station. Very safe across from Military garrison. Walk to sights easily done in about 20-30 min. ie Spanish Sets.
would stay there again.

Posted by
11338 posts

The centro storico is my recommendation. (Piazza Navona, Campo dei Fiori, Largo Argentina, Pantheon areas). Before moving here we atayed in the Center twice. It's more charming to walk around at night than the Termini area, and you are less dependent on public transporation. St. Peter's is a 25 minute walk west, the Colosseo a 20 minute walk east. Not having to wait for a bus at or near Termini will probably save you time.

Posted by
31 posts

We stayed at the Hotel Lancelot, on a back street a 2-minute walk from the Coliseum, and it was very nice; good breakfast, comfortable, professional service, reasonable price. Personally, I love the atmosphere of Trastevere, although Trastevere is on the other side of the river from most of the major sights.

Posted by
65 posts

We stayed at the Hotel Nazionale and LOVED it. We will stay here again when we return to Rome!!!

Posted by
1010 posts

My husband and I stayed at the River Palace Hotel, in 2011. We were there for 10 nights and loved the hotel and its location. We could walk to the Fountain of Trevi, the Pantheon, the Spanish Steps and the Victor Emanuel Monument. A delicious breakfast was included with our room price. It was a lovely hotel and dining room. They offer two free computers in the front of the hotel. The computer area offers a pretty view of the street. They also have a very nice lobby to lounge in. If you go to Trip Advisor, you will see that the hotel receives great reviews.

Posted by
12 posts

I just got back from Rome and loved the Hotel Kennedy! It's across from the train station and very easy to get around Rome with all the buses in front of Termini station. Hope you check it out!

Posted by
439 posts

We just got back. Stayed in Hotel Memphis. Nice hotel, clean & I would stay there again.