Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Milan

We will be ending our trip to Italy in Milan, arriving on the train from the Cinque Terre area, staying 2 nights, one day, then leaving for home from Malpensa Airport. We thought the best way to do this would be to stay in a hotel near the train station (which we understand is where you can get an airport shuttle, as well)and use public transportation to get to the city center for our one day of sight-seeing. We would love a hotel recommendation near the train station--so many conflicting reviews online, it's hard to get a good read. Also would like any opinions on whether this is the best part of the city to stay, given our schedule. Thanks!

Posted by
16325 posts

I'll be interested in hearing what others say. Based on Rick's description of the Centrale station area as "dreary" and "soulless", we chose to stay right in the center, close to the Duomo and La Scala. We'll use the metro or take a taxi to return to the station for our departure.

If you are going to Malpensa---you can take a train from Carodno station, west of the Duomo area (by one metro stop). You might consider that instead of the "dreary" area near Milano Centrale. (I've never heard good things about that station or that area.)

Posted by
32212 posts

Sharon,

You don't necessarily have to stay near Milano Centrale. Instead, you might consider staying near Via Dante, within walking distance from the Duomo, Galleria Vittorio Emmanuele, Sforza Castle and other sites.

One advantage of staying near Via Dante is that you can take the Malpensa Express (train) from Cadorna station to MXP. It's an easy trip and not affected by traffic.

If you decide to stay in that area, post another note and I'll provide the name of a wonderful restaurant. I was staying in Hotel London and found that the restaurant was only about a two minute walk (once I knew the way).

Cheers!

Posted by
276 posts

Hi Sharon,

I second Ken's suggestion about taking the Malpensa Express and staying near Via Dante(even about Hotel London), and not just because Ken always gives good advice:)The Malpensa Express is very straightforward and relatively inexpensive, and the Via Dante area is right in the thick of most everything you want to see in Milan.

Have a great trip!

Posted by
33 posts

Thanks to you all for the input. I'll definitely check out Hotel London and that area of Milan. The tip on the Malpensa express is great, too. So I guess the only thing we need to figure out is which station the train we'll be on arrives at, and then if it's the Centrale vs the Cordona, how we'll to get to Hotel London. Cab, I assume? I'd love the name of that restaurant, too, Ken.

Posted by
1018 posts

I have stayed at Hotel Berna on Via Napo Torianno many times and I have been very satified. It is 400 meters from Stazione Centrale on a quiet street. It serves the most lavish breakfast in Milano. Try cross referencing between venere.com and tripadvisor.com They provide all sorts of info including map locations and client reviews from people who actually stayed there.

Buon viaggio,

RB

Posted by
4 posts

We also stayed in Milano last week before heading to Malpensa for return flight. The Hotel Milan Rio ( http://www.hotelriomilan.com/ ) is located 100 meters from Piazza Duomo, good service (bath, TV, breakfast) and is relatively cheap for Milan (E95/double). It is four Metro stops from Central train station and three Metro stops to the station where Malpensa express takes off.

Posted by
33 posts

Hotel Berna was the hotel we were considering near the Centrale station. I found it on Trip Advisor,thought the reviews were generally good, but recent (past few weeks) reviews haven't been all that good... Kinda made me stop and re-think things.

Posted by
58 posts

An SLO reply was made to you, then we saw this posting. We are in the Hotel Berna, (talked with Bruce--Arroyo Grande on this site) for our Milan visit, then the First hotel at Malpensa. Our West Coast flight is 06:30 and First Hotel shuttle starts at 04:30. When you arrive at the airport by either shuttle or train from Milan, the First Hotel will pick you up the night of your stay. When you register ask for the phone number to call for the shuttle. They have a restaurant if you want dinner; and if you have an early flight and will miss breakfast there was a different rate.

Posted by
389 posts

if you want near train station, we stayed at the Hilton--fairly bland, but good generic Hilton, good beds and super convenient. Usually traffic is not an issue in the AM--you are going reverse--out of city. There are buses every 15 minutes or so, no need to buy ticket in advance, just get on bus and buy ticket.