Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Milan

We know nothing about hotels in Milan. We will be there three days. We would like to feel safe, and still be in the central part. We have no car. Our budget is limited. We will fly out of Milan as this is the end of our trip. Any advice will be appreciated.

Posted by
10344 posts

This is a frequently asked question here.

The link below will take you to all or most of the prior discussions/reviews of Milan hotels that have been posted on this forum in the last few years:

click here

1. Rick's book Italy gives his hotel picks, the book is available for online viewing on Google (prior years) or for purchase at the usual places (2009 edition).

2. Go to the Milan forum of Tripadvisors.com

Posted by
1883 posts

I always use venere.com to book my hotels. I have great luck with this site in Milan, Bologna and Rome.

You can search by location within the city, your price range and the star rating of hotels.

Decide where you want to stay for convenience. We usually choose something not far from the train station since we have luggage, and don't want to hire a taxi. usually the train station is not too far from the center of town.

We used Hotel Berna last time. It's a few blocks from the train station/ bus station so we could get to the airport.

Check out the website, you have nothing to loose. You an make a reservation, don't have to give a credit card number in most cases, and you can cancel too, just watch the time frame. usually it's 24 hours before arrival- like hotels in the US.

you can also see photos of the rooms, bathroom, breakfast area, and the outside of the hotel -this is handy when you are walking around looking for the place!

Posted by
1003 posts

Hi Suzanna--we are almost neighbors! I just returned from Italy a week ago. We flew into Venice and out of Milan--Linate. We arrived in Milan from the Cinque Terre by train and stayed at Hotel Berna (one night) which was very close to the train station (we walked)and easy to find. Good directions on their website. This hotel was recommended by another poster and it was perfect. There were 5 in our group so we had a double and a triple room. The price for the double was 110 Euros ($154.31) and the triple was 135 Euros ($189.38.) Both rooms were in the "Superior" category. We stayed in the main part of the hotel and the rooms were beautiful and newly renovated. They also have the Berna tower which is across the street and I think is even newer. This price also included an unbelievably huge breakfast buffet from 7-11 a.m. There was so much food--bacon, scrambled eggs, meat cheese, quiche, fruit, even a juicer if you wanted to make your own carrot juice! There are mini fridges in each room stocked with non alcoholic beverages which are included in the price of the room and slippers for each person. We felt very safe in the neighborhood and there is a metro stop about a block away, in front of the train station. Very easy to get to the Duomo and Galleria. I booked 30 plus days in advance as you get a cheaper price (at least a 15% discount)and there is no cancellation as it goes right on your credit card. We had the front desk call for a van to take us to Linate airport. Cost was 40 euros plus a small tip and took about 15 min. I would highly recommend Hotel Berna and would stay here again. Let me know if I can give you any other info that might be helpful.

Posted by
3252 posts

We stayed at "The Best Hotel" as well but I always hesitate to recommend it because when I mentioned it in a previous post someone said that in their opinion it was the "worst!"

The hotel is on a street next to the market (possibly the market is just on the week-ends) and when it closes for the day the street is a bit messy. The hotel however, is just as Jeff described...I'd stay there again as the price is right and the location near the train station can't be beat.

Posted by
32222 posts

Suzanne,

I stayed at the Hotel London and would certainly recommend it. However, as Rick says you might want to skip the breakfasts and find something on via Dante. They've only got a VERY small breakfast room!

The Hotel is in a great location for walking to the main sites such as the Duomo and Galleria Vittoria Emmanuele (a couple of blocks and about 10 minutes). There's a McCafe there, which is the best place to get a full sized "regular" cup of coffee.

If you're interested in an excellent dinner on your last night, you might try Le Briciole at Via Camperio 17 (only about a 5 minute brisk walk from the Hotel, but they're closed all of August if you'll be there at that time).

Getting to the airport from the Hotel is easy. Take a Taxi to Cadorna station (about 5 minutes) and take the Malpensa Express direct to the airport. No traffic jams to worry about, and it goes direct to Terminal 1. There's a ticket office in the station. I took a few minutes the day before I was travelling and bought a ticket then, and also had a brief look around the station. The Taxi will probably drop you at the back of the station, and you'll then go through a Turnstile. There's a small snack bar there if you need to grab a Coffee and Pastry for the trip.

When in Milan, you might consider a day trip to Lago di Como (Varenna). If you need details, post another note.

Happy travels!

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks to all of you. I am trying to get into Hotel Berna first, and if no success, Hotel London.

Posted by
125 posts

For a limited budget, We stayed 2 nights at " The Best Hotel" in Rickys book, about a 5-7 min walk from Central Milan train station. Just the basics, AC, free 30 min Wifi, free light breakfast, double room was 70 Euro. As for getting to Linate, it couldn't be easier, took the metro to San Bablia station, and then the #73 bus right to Linate. Bus took about 20 mins. Best yet was the cost to Linate, a 1 Euro metro ticket on the metro and free transfer to the #73 bus. One of the simplest and cheapest airports to get to in Europe.

Posted by
125 posts

The street where the "Best Hotel" is located does only have the market on weekends. We were leaving Sat morning and the vendors were setting up. On Thurs and Fri, the streets were quiet. As for best or worst, it all depends on what you are expecting. For us, it was fine, and the price was within our budget, as we only slept there and were out nearly all day. BTW on the way to the "Best Hotel" there are a number of other hotels with similar prices ranging around 80E per night for a double.

Posted by
632 posts

Our favorite hotel in Milan is the Star Hotel...it's recommended by RS, its right in the middle of everything (five minutes walking to Duomo, the Galleria, La Scala, and the Castello Sforzesco, and only 15 minutes from the Last Supper...lots of good inexpensive restaurants in the area...with a good cafe scene as well...this hotel is rated #34 out of 400 plus hotels in Milan...if you are going to stay a few days, why not enjoy yourself in the middle of everything.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187849-d237297-Reviews-Hotel_Star-Milan_Lombardy.html