Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Lake Como

We plan to spend two days in the Lake Como area. I would like a hotel. I can walk to the ferry and around town. Any suggestions? I would prefer to pay less than $150 a night. I will be there early October. Also, what is the train I should take from Milano , and what part of town. Thanks, Marina SF, Ca USA

Posted by
32212 posts

Marina, Could you clarify which town on Lago di Como you're planning to stay in? Varenna is the usual favourite with most here, so I'll assume that's where you're planning to go. The rail trip from Milano Centrale is very easy, about 1H:03M. As I recall, the train to Varenna runs from Milano Centrale to Sondrio, and there are departures about every two hours. You'll pass through a tunnel just before arrival in Varenna, so be ready to disembark promptly as the train only stops for about a minute. Be sure to note the method for releasing the door - sometimes a push button, sometimes a lever. Depending on where you'll be staying, you may be able to walk to the Hotel. However with luggage, a Taxi might be a good idea. As you would prefer a Hotel, you might have a look at Royal Hotel Victoria. Unfortunately, even in October the rates for a "double" are above your budget. One thing to keep in mind is that US$150 is only about €113. You may have to increase your budget. You might also consider staying at one of the B&B's listed in the Guidebook. Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
61 posts

Hi I have booked Hotel la Darsena at Tremezzo very near ferry service, but more expensive than your budget as we want view of the lake but they have cheaper rooms.

Posted by
359 posts

not sure if it will fit your budget or not but Hotel Centrale in Bellagio is fantastic