Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Italy

Good Morning!
We are travelling across Italy from February 20th through the 23rd. We will had up to Pisa and Lucca and need a hotel on the way to Venice. We need a hotel in Venice, Siena and Orvieto area. I would love to hear of wonderful experiences that you have had in those places. I have Rick's list and was trying to narrow it down from there. We will have the need for a double and a triple. Thank you for your reply!

Posted by
4152 posts

You state that you'll be in Italy from February 20th through the 23rd. That's three days unless I'm missing something yet you have requested a hotel for 4 nights in 4 different cities. What's your budget? How are you traveling and will you need parking? More information is needed in order to answer your questions. YOu can start by checking out venere.com. They have wonderful hotels in all areas of the city for any budget. Just enter the city you wish to stay and your budget and they will give you options. Be sure to read the reviews. They are written by someone who has completed a stay. donna

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you so much Donna, It was pretty early when I wrote that. Here is my itinerary. Arrive in Rom 2/17 spend the time in Rome through the 19th and head to Pisa, Lucca and on the way to Venice on the 20th. Then spend the day and night in Venice on the 21st. Head to Florence and onto Siena on the 22nd. Spend a day in Tuscany visiting several hill towns on the 23rd and spend the evening somewhere in Tuscany. Orvieto? Back to Rome for the 24th and 25th before leaving on the 26th. We have a townhouse in Rome the 17th through the 19th and 24th and 25th. So we need a hotel the nights of the 20th (somewhere between Lucca and Venice), 21st in Venice, and the 22nd in Siena or nearby vacinity. We thought waking up in the town would be exciting unless you think an agriturismo makes more sense. Thank you for replying!!

Posted by
4152 posts

Is there any reason you wish to stop for the night between Lucca and Venice? I would just continue on and give yourself more time in Venice. I would use venere.com for hotels where ever you decide to stay. In Venice I would check the dorsoduro or Cannaregio areas. These will be less expensive but still close to everything you wish to see. Can't help you with Siena as my first trip there will be in March. My other thought is to see Siena as a day trip on your way back to Rome. You can take the train there from Venice if you leave early and spend the day there continuing to Rome later that evening. Donna

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you for your replies, Donna and Denise We will be driving. If we have enough time to make it to Venice I like the idea. It would be nice to wake up 2 days in Venice and get up early on Tuesday to Florence to spend a full day there. Donna, have a nice trip in March. Denise, I understand that the train makes more sense but we have 4 drivers and wanted to have the flexibility to stop off at sights along the way and stay longer at a place if we wish. I will check out venere.com and of course use Rick's books and DVD's for recommendations. Thanks again!

Posted by
1018 posts

You are going to be moving around a lot. Have you considered basing yourself in a central location and then doing day trips? You are going to lose sightseeing time due to changing locations As for hotels, use venere.com and tripadvisor.com because each will provide choices, pricing, map locations, and client reviews. Buon viaggio,

Posted by
4535 posts

Use trip advisor to narrow down your choices. You'll get far more reviews and even photos than you will a handful of responses here. And you can focus on your price-point.

Posted by
799 posts

I would also suggest that you spend two nights (at least!) in Venice. You're doing a lot of moving around, and two nights in one place will be a little more relaxing. Also, between time in Venice vs. Pisa and/or Lucca, I would choose Venice! Pisa I found ok, Lucca was a very nice, smaller, untouristy city, but given your time limitations, Venice is more worth your time. Also, as you'd have to drive west, out of the direct route from Rome to Venice, you'll have extra driving time to get to Pisa/Lucca, as well. Caveat: Carnival in Venice begins on February 26, so hotels may be booked up in the days prior. In Venice, we stayed in a triple room as Casa Santa Maria Formosa (they of course also have double rooms). The location was great, out of the tourist fray but still only about a 5-min. walk to Saint Mark's Square. The room was clean and as spacious as you get in Europe. The breakfast area, while small, was scenic, and the staff was very helpful. Previously, we've stayed in the Cannaregio neighborhood, and like that area a lot as well. I don't remember if you are planning on staying the night in Florence, but if so, we had a lovely triple room at a B&B, Casa dei Tintori, http://www.casadeitintori.it/en/ (they have double rooms too). The owners are absolutely delightful, and their B&B is gorgeous. Also centrally located (that's important for us, as we like to walk around a lot).

Posted by
6 posts

Your comments are much appreciated. I will give serious consideration to heading straight to Venice to spend two nights (Sun and Mon) The whole Pisa thing is for my 15 yr old son but I am sure he will better appreciate what Venice has to offer. Maybe my family can agree to do Sun and Monday night in Venice and Tuesday and Wednesday night in Florence or Siena. Thanks again to all! May your travels be safe and amazing.