Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Florence

I'd love some personal recommendations for a hotel in Florence either close to the Duomo or Santa Croce
area in the $350 range.

Posted by
267 posts

Well, the Hotel Europa was lovely, although not in the $350 range... much less.. We had a great view of the Duomo from our room. Only about 2blocks to walk there.

Posted by
1501 posts

Thank you Christi! Less is always better $$! I always stay in an apartment in Florence, and am looking for a friend.

Posted by
1540 posts

I would recommend the Hotel California - perfect location for walking all over Florence.
I don't know what their current rates are, but it is a lovely hotel.

Posted by
11315 posts

We were very happy with Hotel Pendini. Old-world charm, big room, good breakfast and 5 minutes from the Duomo. Way below your budget.

Posted by
32201 posts

donna,

You could also try Katti House. It's in a great location, close to the San Lorenzo market and within easy walking distance to the Duomo. They also operate a restaurant and I thought the food was great. As I recall, there's a Laundromat right across the street.

Posted by
1501 posts

I tried multiple times last year to get in touch with Kati House, and they never answered emails or faxes, I think I'll try again. Definitely looking for some Old World Charm!

Posted by
78 posts

The Grand Tour Firenze isn't a hotel but a B&B. It's definitely old world charm. The ground level suite is very nice. The owners are wonderful. It's close to the Accademia and easy walking to the Duomo. The price is well below your $350 per night.

Posted by
15155 posts

Your range of $350 (€250) qualifies you for some pretty posh accommodations.
At that level of luxury I recommend this place at your price range (actually a little less than your figure) :
http://www.pontevecchiosuites.com/

It's near Ponte Vecchio, not the Duomo, but the Oltrarno is quieter and more characteristic of what Florence used to be before it became a Renaissance Theme Park. From the Ponte Vecchio to the Duomo is less than 10 min. walk.

Posted by
672 posts

Hotel dei Macchiaiolli (website) would fit your requirements. We have stayed there on two separate visits, the most recent in May of this year. It is in a great location (on via Cavour, near the Accademia, and a 5-minute walk to the Duomo). Room cost about 190 Euro/night; was clean, quiet, and comfortable. They serve an excellent breakfast, and have a very friendly and helpful staff. I highly recommend this beautiful hotel, which is located on the second floor of a former palace and has several public rooms (including the breakfast room) with frescoed ceilings; it is listed in Rick's Florence and Tuscany book.

Posted by
1501 posts

Thank you ALL!!! I thought I'd need to spend US350 for a decent room -- and I really appreciate all of the recommendations for less expensive rooms! I may now save enough to buy myself a nice leather bag!!!

Posted by
21 posts

We have stayed at the Relias Piazza Signoria all 4 times we have been to Florence. It's right in Piazza Signoria. It's half hotel, half apartments. The owners/employees are amazing, helpful about everything, and have great suggestions for local restaurants, gelato and shopping. It's our favorite! We have stayed there just us (my husband and myself), and with our kids (ages 5 and 9 at the time).

Posted by
484 posts

I just want to second Hotel Pendini on piazza Della Republicca. We really enjoyed this place and location is central to most sites. Helpful and friendly staff. They even went out of the way to fix my young child's broken hand fan for her. The staff had a good sense of humour about it and made her smile. Just request a quiet room when you book online. Good breakfast included. Side note - you may want to purchase a cheap fan on the street for yourself. My daughter begged for one. Then, we found ourselves competing for it in the museums and churches.

Posted by
13931 posts

Barb, I had totally forgotten about the small fans. I never got around to getting one and really, if it's a hot day it's stuffy in the museums and you need one. I will pick up one right away when I get back to Italy! Thanks for the reminder!

Posted by
73 posts

I wouldn't stay anywhere but the Hotel degli Orafi in Firenze. It is awesome. Breakfast and service is awesome. It is next to the Ponte Vecchio on the Arno River. If you know Florence...everything is a short walk from the hotel.