Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Como

Hi, We're going to Italy for a week and want to stay one night in the town of Como. Does anyone have any good recommendations? I'm looking for something inexpensive but clean and decent. Basically, the kind of hotel you might find recommended in one of Rick's books, lol. The only accommodation listed in the Italy book is a hostel. Has anyone stayed in that hostel? Are there private rooms or is it one big room. Thanks in advance for your help!

Posted by
842 posts

Andrew, have you gone to Trip Advisor.com or Venere.com and looked at the list of lodgings that people have reviewed and recommended for the Como area? We always do this to see what is available in our price range.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks for the suggestions Steve! I was hoping though for a personal recommendation from someone who likes to travel Rick steves style.

Posted by
32220 posts

Andrew, I've found that the Hotel listings for Como in the Guidebook are not as plentiful as for Varenna (which is somewhat the "preferred location" for Lago di Como). Are you set on staying in Como or would another location on the lake also work? As Steve mentioned, Trip Advisor is a good resource. Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
6 posts

Hi Ken, So here's the full story... we're actually spending a week up in Lake Como and staying in Varenna. It just so happens that the place that we're staying in Varenna doesn't have availability for the first night. I decided to fly into Milan and instead of taking the train to Varenna, I'm going to take the train to Como, stay one evening and then take the ferry from Como to Varenna where we'll stay for most of the week. Hence looking for a night in Como. I was happy with this plan since we were thinking of taking a day trip from varenna to como and it makes it more on the way than taking the ferry between Varenna and Como. Thanks to everyone for being so interested in helping that you're asking follow up questions!

Posted by
32220 posts

Andrew, thanks for the clarification, that helps. Since you were planning a trip to Como anyway, your planning is right on. If you can afford a "splurge", you might have a look at the Hotel Barchetta Excelsior. Another person that posted here will be staying there in the near future. You could also have a look at Hotel Borgovico, as it seems to get good reviews on Trip Advisor. It seems to fit the "RS category" better than the Excelsior. Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
166 posts

Cannot help with a hotel in Como. However, we spent a week in Varenna in 2008 and absolutely loved it! Be sure to enjoy a gelato at the shop on the pedestrian walkway. It was absolutely the best gelato in Italy!!

Posted by
32220 posts

Andrew, just curious - any luck with the Hotel yet?