Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Bologna

Hello!
We will be touring northern Italy next year. I purchased the updated Rick Steves' Italy book and there isn't any info on Bologna, I'm hoping I can get a few recommendations on where to stay. We plan on being in Bologna for 3 nights in late spring.
Thank you in advance!
Carol

Posted by
305 posts

Hi Carol. We spent 6 nights at Albergo Centrale three years ago. Great location, good value, clean rooms, helpful service and good breakfast. Enjoy.

Posted by
6291 posts

Hi, Carol:

I don't know how much help this is, but we had the Albergo Centrale booked for several nights in June of 2020 . The rate was great, and the place came well recommended. If we get to go either this fall or next spring, I'm booking it again.

Posted by
3843 posts

I’m reading RS Italy guide book now and was also looking for info on Bologna. I had read it was a very underrated city. Hoping to go in September on our way to Florence.

Posted by
2669 posts

I can't help with hotels, but if you're looking for additional info. on Bologna, Insight Guides has a Pocket Guide on Bologna and Northern Italy: Emilia-Romagna by Bradt has a decent size chapter on Bologna. I haven't been yet, but hope to make it there next year. Happy planning!!

Posted by
8440 posts

The absence of any city from one of his guidebooks is not a sign that RS doesnt think they're worth visiting, or that he doesnt recommend the place. It just means that space in his books are limited and he never intended them to be comprehensive. They couldn't easily be kept up-to-date if they were, so he focuses on fewer places, with more depth, while encouraging people to do their own exploring.

Posted by
501 posts

It depends by your travel idea when in Bologna.
If you move by car an hotel located on the edge of the historical center is a good solution, because you can reach the main monuments walking but not too much worried to drive in the restricted area. Several tourists like the Aemilia hotel.
Close to the train station there are some very good hotels and are suitable even if you plan several day trips by train to the main Emilia-Romagna cities (Modena, Parma, Ravenna, Ferrara...). Some names: I Portici, La Gare, Royal Carlton, UNA, Internazionale.
If you plan to stay in the city and prefer the core of the medieval town there are several very nice ones: Drapperie, Corona d'Oro, Cappello Rosso, Tre Vecchi, Orologio... In this case reach the hotel by car could be tricky, but the hotel usually manage the permit to enter into the ZTL.
Better rates can be obtained with hotels farer from the center, especially in the Fair district during the week end. Some names: Michelino, Savoia Regency, AC Marriot....

Posted by
27111 posts

The area right at the train station, while not scuzzy, isn't particularly attractive--fast-food joints, tacky stores, etc. I stayed there because I got a good rate at a business-class hotel and was dealing with a too-heavy suitcase I didn't particularly want to roll all the way to the beautiful core of the city. If you're without a car, I'd try for a place in the historic center or between that area and the train station. If you have a car, be very careful; I believe there's a lot of ZTL country in Bologna.

Posted by
3110 posts

https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/internazionale.en-gb.html?aid=339457;label=msn-k2W%2AKnRK_ENkKs5OJxkGew-80127000569254%3Atikwd-3547628306%3Aloc-32%3Aneo%3Amte%3Adec%3Aqshotel%20internazionale%20bologna;sid=439dc2be1537032c50b1e6a183f013c0;dest_id=-111742;dest_type=city;dist=0;group_adults=2;group_children=0;hapos=1;hpos=1;no_rooms=1;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;sr_order=popularity;srepoch=1620235007;srpvid=6805797f7ea501e1;type=total;ucfs=1&#hotelTmpl

Sorry, long link...but I stayed at this hotel in 2012.
Hotel Internazionale.
It was nice then, but the pictures look as if it's been upgraded a bit.
It's about a 7 minute walk from the train station, and had a really wonderful breakfast.
It's on the main street where you walk up to the centre of town and P. Maggiore.

Posted by
2455 posts

Carol, after much research, I had 5 nights booked a year ago, May 2020, at Casa Ilaria, a very well-located and highly-reviewed B & B in Bologna. Of course, the pandemic blew up that plan, so I never actually stayed there. So wish I could comment from actual personal experience. Lots to experience in Bologna and nearby cities and towns.

Posted by
518 posts

Larry,
I just checked out Casa Ilaria as I am looking for BB in Bologna and unfortunately they permanently closed in April 2020.