Please sign in to post.

Hotel Sonya vs VRBO 271515 in Rome

Hi all-
My husband and I are going to Rome from 12/25 to 01/01 and I'm trying to decide between the Hotel Sonya for ~120E a night or VRBO 271515 for ~90E a night. Hotel Sonya provides breakfast but it's in Termini area while the VRBO is near the Campo Dei Fiori area. We're in our early 40's and big walkers so walking to the sites isn't an issue but I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with either place and could make a reccomendation. Some more facts about us - my third time to Rome, husband's first. I like the Campo area but not that familiar with the Termini area except to catch a train. We don't really need a kitchen, I doubt we'll do much cooking or eating in the room just because we never do on vacation. We're looking to spend no more than around 140E a night, so any other reccomendations would be appreciated. Since it's xmas / New Year's I expect for prices to be a bit higher. Thank you!

Posted by
565 posts

If it were me I'd definitely pick the apartment. I always do rentals now. My first couple trips to Rome and short stays have been and are hotels, but even if you don't cook, having a place for coffee/wine and breakfast on your own, as well as laundry facilities, it's hard to beat. Termini is kind of a sterile/utilitarian area. Not as bad as the critics condemn it, but probably not too far off either. During Christmas, you will be where the action is. The markets are just north of you in Piazza Navona. Had a blast there a few years ago around Christmas. Since you aren't a novice, I'd do the apartment. Enjoy Rome!

Posted by
11316 posts

Absolutely stay in Centro. Great walking around there at night, beautiful lights, close to so many options. St. Peter's is even within walking distance.

Posted by
94 posts

Thank you for the feedback! We're definitely leaning towards the apt in Campo.

Posted by
94 posts

Thank you for the feedback! We're definitely leaning towards the apt in Campo.

Posted by
2186 posts

Well, if the apt. Doesn't come through, we were fine with our stay at Hotel Sonya. We stayed there with our RS tour. We didn't know any other area, so we had no expectations. we did use the laundromat just down the street and it was say to access other parts of the city.

Posted by
2622 posts

I only use hotels as a last resort now. Apartments save me hundreds of dollars on each trip - they are usually less expensive than hotels, and more importantly, I cook all of our breakfasts and dinners, which is an enormous money-saver. Lots of people like to eat their meals out, I realize, but for us, the apartment gives us the ability to limit that.

Posted by
94 posts

I appreciate all of your feedback. I've reserved the VRBO and I'll be back after our trip to report back. Thanks everyone!

Posted by
7357 posts

My husband and I were in Rome right before Christmas this year. Be sure to see the various crèches all over the city. You are in for a real treat. We were actually there the week before Xmas but there were no crowds any place. That was a real bonus.

Posted by
94 posts

Thanks Cyn! We're really looking forward to seeing the city decorated for the season.

Posted by
94 posts

Hi Elle, thank you! Your blog is great and I've bookmarked the walking tour. We can't wait!