Please sign in to post.

Hotel Smeraldo, Rome

I know this hotel is one of Rick Steve's recommendations. We have booked this hotel for May 2016 as our original hotel pick was Albergo Cesari which we found is booked for our dates. We have Rick's pocket Rome book which is where I found Hotel Smeraldo with only one $ for the price, however the price should really be $$ as to what we are paying. According to reviews which are very mixed, they say the wifi is terrible and also the rooms, baths, are not very good. However the good reviews are really good, so we should probably take them with a grain of salt. Just want to get some info from some of you who have stayed. We will keep the reservation at Smeraldo, as we did book a Superior room which is their updated rooms. Apparently the regular rooms are not according to reviews.

Any info on this hotel is greatly appreciated. It is in a great location, withing walking distance to most sites and restaurants, etc.

Thanks much.

Posted by
23178 posts

If the hotel is getting bad reviews, why booked it? There are other good options. We have stayed several times in both the Sonya and Aberdeen over the past several years. Both great hotels, well recommended by others on this site and in Steves' guide books.

Posted by
922 posts

We stayed here in November 2012. The room was decent and was on the 1st floor overlooking the street. Despite being right on the street, it was fairly quiet. We did not have breakfast there so I can't comment on that. The lobby was nice but small and the staff were excellent. The location is fantastic. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was fine. I didn't have any issues with the hotel. On our last trip to Rome, we had 4 people so we rented an apartment through VRBO in Trastavere.

Posted by
47 posts

Thanks Frank and Stephen.

Frank: I have heard of both those hotels recommended by Rick, however, we don't want to stay near the train station. We want to be able to walk to most of the sites and the Hotel Smeraldo recommended by Rick is closer to the sites. I asked for recommendation on the hotel from those who have stayed there. I checked Sonja's reviews and they have mixed good and bad just as Smeraldo. Thanks.

Stephen:: Thanks for your review of the Smeraldo. Sounds like you enjoyed your stay and that the location was great which is exactly what we want. Since we booked a Superior room which is their updated rooms, so we should be good. We will keep our reservations there. The hotel has a roof top terrace which is something that would be a great beginning and end of our day.

Posted by
4152 posts

Ruth, you can walk to most of the sites from the termini area. It's only a 15-20 minute walk from the Smeraldo and has much better connections to public transportation to get you to the farthest sites like the Vatican museums, colosseum and Borghese gallery.

The Smeraldo is a nice hotel. It's not a luxury hotel but it's clean and comfortable. The rooms are nice and quiet.

Donna

Posted by
47 posts

Thanks Donna. The Hotel Smeraldo is near Camp de Fior so we are within walking distance to most sites except the Vatican. No need for public transportation as it's not near Termini. We look forward to our stay in Rome.

Posted by
32519 posts

I stayed there for several days a few years ago. The only reason we didn't return was that we now stay with friends or in apartments.

If I wanted a hotel I would certainly consider returning. The views out the window were pleasant, no outside noise except for church bells - not loud and everywhere in Rome has that which we love - good desk staff, very nice breakfast and a nice place to get inexpensive food around the corner next to their annex.

The only slight downsides were that the shower cubicle was rather small and the room was big enough for us but not large (this is Rome, you know).

I don't remember any issue with the wifi and I travel with a few devices, but you did (some years ago which means it may have changed) need a new code each day - which is pretty common in many hotels and not only in Italy.

Posted by
70 posts

We have stayed at Hotel Smeraldo several times. The rooms are small but very clean AND there is a roof top terrace which is very nice. The location is excellent-very near the Campo dei Fiori,and a short distance to Piazza Navona and then the Pantheon. There is always somewhere to go at night including the , the Forum, and the Colosseum-you can walk to the Vatican-consult a map to determine shortcuts.. Walking to the Vatican is not difficult. Termini area is not charming and night time walking is limited. There are buses near the Campo on Victor Emmaunuele. Absolutely the best area to stay in Roma! Linda

Posted by
47 posts

Thanks Nigel and Linda for your great responses. I had heard many times before that the area around termini is not the best for a walk at night. The other areas near the Smeraldo are best for night walking with a gelato, etc. Want to do the night walk that Rick recommends from Campo to Trevi and up to the Spanish steps. At least do part of it would be nice.

Posted by
19 posts

We stayed here about three weeks ago as part of BOE 14 days. It's a nice hotel in a great location. The room size was typical for Europe. The air conditioning was decent and I don't remember any street noise. The wifi didn't work well from our room but was okay in the lobby. There is a wonderful gellato shop across the street.

Posted by
1501 posts

You're smart not to want to sleep near the train station. Although I know that many people on this website love it,
I do not. I think the Smeraldo will be fine - and the location really is fantastic. Remember than on trip advisor, the
competition can give a bad review, and you'd never know it. I'd stick with your decision. The location's fantastic! I
always (boringly) stay at a hotel across from the Vatican because I've GOT to go to St. Peters any time I'm in Rome, and I love
the quiet of the neighborhood at night.

Posted by
16893 posts

Spotty Wi-Fi is a very common hotel issue, as well as it's something that can change (more easily than the size of the room, etc), so I'd give lower priority to that feedback.

Posted by
192 posts

We stayed there in 2013 and had no problems with the WiFi from our room which overlooked the great bakery across the street. Breakfasts were more than adequate and staff very friendly and helpful. Bathroom was small (with a tiny shower) and we had to keep the door closed due to a sewer smell. There was some street noise, but some days we had live music to listen to while we sipped our wine. There is a small grocery store a couple of blocks away. Close to the Jewish ghetto and transportation to other parts of Rome. We would stay there again.

Posted by
2023 posts

I think you have chosen a great location. Have not stayed at Smeraldo (we like Due Torre) but would consider it. There are so many great choices of restaurants and you can walk to most sites. The area around the Termini is not very appealing and very charmless and away from so many restaurants that are recommended--word of mouth, guide books,etc. Love walking through the Jewish Quarter that is nearby. Don't miss the morning market at Camo Fiori!

Posted by
47 posts

Thank you Don and Susan. We are looking forward to our stay at Smeraldo and the area. As mentioned previously, we have booked a Superior room which is supposedly renovated including bath, so hope to have a nicer room than others mentioned. Not sure how long they have been renovating though. Thanks again.