Please sign in to post.

Hotel Smeraldo in Rome

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has stayed here before a RS Italy tour? My family and I are planning on going over 2 night prior to our trip. The hotel didn't mention anything about offering a tour discount and also stated that we would have to switch rooms once the tour started which I never had to do before. Just wanted to reach out to my fellow travelers to see if you also had a similar experience?

Thank you. I always appreciate your feedback :)

Tara

I have not stayed at H. Smeraldo. I stayed at another hotel nearby. I can tell you that it is in a great location. Next to Largo Argentina. Short walk to Pantheon and Campo dei fiori.

Posted by
55 posts

I can't give you recent intelligence, but that name rang a bell: I stayed there when I was on study-abroad in Italy in 1999! I can confirm that the location is excellent, but I imagine (hope) they've remodeled since my stay LOL

Posted by
894 posts

I spent three or four days at Smeraldo, not on a RS tour. I enjoyed the hotel because of its great location, easy to walk everywhere I wanted to go, nice quiet location to get over jet lag and some good food places close at hand. Decent breakfast too.

I did do the RS Rome tour and stayed at the tour hotel, not Smeraldo, for a couple of nights beforehand. I was warned that I would have to change rooms but in fact I ended up staying in the same room. I would not expect a discount for the days I stayed at the hotel when I was not part of the tour.

Posted by
200 posts

Stayed at Hotel Smeraldo early May 2015 while on the Best of South Italy tour. Rome was the starting city and we arrived 2 nights prior to tour start. When requesting a room with the hotel I asked for their best rate and if possible to stay in the same room. Both of these were honored. In comparison to published prices vs what I have been charged from a tour hotel when adding extra nights, I have been given a better rate in consideration of my RST member status. Not suggesting that’s guaranteed, just my experience over 7 tours.

Posted by
1003 posts

I know your question was re. a R.S. tour. We have stayed here but not with a R.S. tour. Rooms were smallish with lots of marble but were nice and I remember the A/C worked great. The location of the Smeraldo is excellent and an easy walk to Campo Di Fiori, Piazza Navona, Pantheon and Trastevere. Bus stop and tram stop nearby too. Don't miss the bakery "Forno Roscioli" right around the corner from the Smeraldo at Via dei Chiavari, 34. Also, at Via dei Chiavari, 39 is IBIZ leather shop. They have beautiful leather handbags, belts, billfolds, etc.

Posted by
2048 posts

I’ve read they have an annex in addition to the main hotel. May want ti do more research on which one is better. But then the location is great and you won’t be in your room much.

Posted by
6 posts

Have stayed at Hotel Smeraldo a number of times. Always happy. Recent renovations have made it even better. Clean, staff is wonderful. Near everything. Wouldn't stay anywhere else.
Book early in high season, they fill up quickly. Never went on a RS tour. Campo di Fiori is a must for many reasons.
Happy Travels!

Posted by
93 posts

My husband and I have stayed there several times. We would stay there again. Location is great!

Posted by
49 posts

Great hotel with helpful staff, hearty breakfast, and convenient location. Rooms are smallish, but it did not detract from the other great qualities. I would definitely recommend them--stayed in March 2017.