Please sign in to post.

Hotel Smeraldo

Has anyone had any experience with the Hotel Smeraldo in Rome? It is recommended in Rick's book and it looks like it would be in a great part of town to stay in for the 5 nights we will be there. And the prices (for Rome) seem be somewhat affordable. Other sugggestions? Thanks

Posted by
192 posts

I have read those reviews on tripadvisor and they are mixed. I was looking for some personal experiences from other RS travelers. Some of the negative reviews on tripadvisor are sometimes from people that just cannot be satisfied, no matter what. Like are the showers really that small, is there really a problem with hot water in the AM, too much street noise etc. or are they really just blowing it out of proportion. Anyway, I thought I would ask the RS community for their views.

Posted by
4152 posts

I have not stayed at the Smeraldo but my sister has (twice) and I've visited her there on both occasions. I really like this hotel. The rooms are nice and the location is great. I didn't think the bathroom or shower was particularly small but I visit Italy a lot and am used to it. I thought the rooms were a nice size and views were very nice. After her first visit I asked my sister how she liked it and she had no complaints. She liked her room and everything else about the hotel. She said there was no noise from the street or other rooms. She does sleep with a sound machine but those don't cover all the noises you sometimes hear. Donna

Posted by
1994 posts

I've stayed there and liked it, and since it was on a very small side street, it was also quiet. However, I've not stayed on return trips because I found it too isolated from the parts of Rome I wanted to visit. However, I'm not good with buses, so I rely on subways, taxis, trains, and walking. If you're OK with figuring out bus systems or are willing to walk a long ways to get to your destination, it probably would be OK. My preference is to use transit to get to the destination and save the walking for exploring the site.

Posted by
11613 posts

Hotel Smeraldo is just fine. I stayed there many years ago, before it was redone, and I went back last year - a world of difference (makes you wonder how old some reviews are). Some rooms have larger bathrooms than others (this is pretty standard), sometimes there's some street noise, but overall it's a good place for the price (although you can probably find something a little less expensive). An native is Hotel Genio, near the north entrance to Piazza Navona, very convenient to buses for all parts of the city and there's a rooftop terrace where breakfast is served and guests can have 360-degree views of Rome from 7am-11pm (it was 95 euro for a single). There's also Casa Navona, self-catering apartments in the same area.

Posted by
32757 posts

I liked it very much. are the showers really that small, is there really a problem with hot water in the AM, too much street noise etc
Yes, mine was. Never had a problem with water. We had our windows open (we were on the back) to hear the bells from the nearby church and never heard street noise. You didn't mention the lift (elevator). Very small but it worked. Would I stay there again? In a heartbeat.

Posted by
973 posts

I recommend it and would return there .My husband and I were there last October, on a low floor across from a cafe, which could be slightly noisy if the window was open and you weren't sitting at the cafe yourself.(Take the earplugs and mask.) The hotel also has a dependance ( annex) down the side street. The room was small enough that our daypacks went behind the bed and one carryon went on the chair and one on the desk,not bad, just average size for Europe. Anyone else think it was very similarly furnished to the Attalos in Athens? The breakfast has some of the best croissants I've ever had, tho the juice tastes canned. I liked the neighborhood with the small stores and booths and a cinema in the Campo. Convenient enough location, we walked almost everywhere. Watch for traffic when you step out of the front door tho- the cars are right there. Bakery across the street for snacks is good.
The staff is formal but not unfriendly. There is a rooftop terrace and a lobby computer. Last year they were charging for internet in the rooms. They had good restaurant suggestions and could arrange car service.

Posted by
11613 posts

Perhaps you can just take the cover of the Rick Steves book, or the page that lists the hotel instead of the whole book? Or can you use a tablet? Or email them a photo of the guidebook and ask if that's sufficient or do you really need to bring the book? I mention this only because I hate packing an extra sheet of paper if I don't have to, let alone a whole book.

Posted by
32757 posts

Melissa makes excellent points. When were there in April the wifi was decent and included. Just needed to get a daily code from the desk which was little if no trouble.

Posted by
192 posts

Thank you all for your input and suggestions. I am now in the process of making reservations with the Smeraldo. I contacted them directly via email and they are also giving me an extra discount if we show them the Rick Steves book (don't really want to lug it with us, but it was a significant discount). They offered this on their own just because I mentioned the book in my email never asking for a discount. Thanks again Don

Posted by
11507 posts

Don I would like to point something out to you. Many of us here are also on tripadvisor , and post our reveiws there,( since this site does not have a half as convenient set up review and search function) its not a "us" and "them" thing. We are the same on both sites. lol

Posted by
192 posts

Just got back from our trip so I thought I would report on the Hotel Smeraldo. The room and the especially the bathroom are really small, as noted above by other posters. But who goes to Italy to stay in the room. The only complaint is that the bathroom and a sewage type smell and we had to keep the bathroom door closed. Had no issues with not having hot water. WiFi was free in all the rooms with a decent connection speed. The major plus was the location. If it is not close to where you want to go transportation hubs are really close. Staff was really friendly and helpful, and we joked back and forth with them. Decent breakfasts. Rooms were clean. We never had to show them the RS Italy book for the discount, and they honored their quote which was for last years rates (up 10E now). Location, Location, Location!!!

Posted by
37 posts

Just returned yesterday and Smeraldo was our last stop- agree with other posters. Staff was formal but friendly, wifi free with code, street noise not bad with shutters closed, shower small but not end of world- room was basic but clean and would stay there again for sure! Also right across the street from great bakery - Roscioli. Stopped there many times for pastries and other supplies!

Posted by
159 posts

I stayed there 3 yrs ago and I loved it. My room single) was small and the bathroom was too, but beautifully appointed and clean. I loved the location - Piazza Navona became my nightime haunt. It's in a quiet area and the people were great.

Posted by
1003 posts

our family of 4 stayed here 3 nights in July 2006. We had 2 double rooms next to each other. The rooms were small but the air cond. was excellent and felt wonderful after a day of sightseeing. Was probably the most robust a/c I have ever had in Europe. You can't beat the location either. Had previously stayed off of Via Nazionale but prefer the area of Campo di Fiore or P. Navona. Last time in Rome we rented an apt. near P.N. and going to Italy in July and have rented an apartment again very close to Piazza N.