Please sign in to post.

Hotel recommendations for Rome

We will be staying for 3 nights in Rome in Early May. We will be doing pretty intense sightseeing since we only have 3 days and since our next stop will be Cinque Terre where we can relax. We prefer 4 or 5 star hotels and are 2 adults. What area would be most convenient for sightseeing and does anyone have any specific hotel recommendations? TIA!

Posted by
23310 posts

That is a constant question. Use the search box -- Rome Hotels -- and you will get dozens of recommendations. Kind in mind star rating does not indicate quality of the hotel but rather the amenities offered. A three star hotel could be "nicer" -- whatever that means -- than a four star. We routine stay at 3 stars in the Terminal area -- Hotel Sonya and Aberdeen -- and think they are greats. Others will downplay the Termini area but we like it for convenience to transit. The Rick Steves' guidebook for Rome has excellent recommendations for hotels all over Rome. Check it out. It will be very useful to you for all your planning.

Posted by
9422 posts

We loved Albergo del Senato. My son was just there, left today. It’s right next to, in front of, the Pantheon. The view out our two large windows of the Pantheon was spectacular, especially at night. A very nice hotel, very convenient. They have a nice rooftop terrace as well.

Posted by
6159 posts

We like the Pantheon area. We are able to walk most everywhere in Rome- major sights- from there.
Many like Termini area and with only 3 nights- assume you are at least leaving by train, that might be most convenient for you.

And take note of Franks explanation of "stars".
If you want an elevator, air conditioning, 24 h front desk, etc you'll need to search for those amenities. Star ratings are different for Italian hotels.

Posted by
4 posts

I don’t see a way to search the forum. I am on my cell phone so maybe that is the reason. If not, can someone direct me to where I could find it?

Posted by
5664 posts

Once you see where the search bar is, you will be mad at yourself, just as I was. Right in plain sight at the top, to the right of where it says "Rick Steve's forum". Its a weird thing, right there, but yet invisible.

Posted by
9422 posts

On my iPhone you have to Click on the 5 Lines at the top Left.

Posted by
2707 posts

I am assuming by your comment 4 or 5 star hotels you are looking for luxury? There are many websites that review these. I think most posters on this board are looking for comfortable, clean, centrally located but not necessarily luxe. The Termini area is seedy IMHO and suitable if you’ve got an early train to catch. We stayed at The Lancelot a family run hotel a few blocks from the Coliseum and Forum. Not luxe but we loved it. We liked the Hotel Smeraldo (took a look at rooms) and were supposed to stay in 2020 but you know how that year went.

Posted by
6598 posts

Consider Grand hotel de la Minerve.. It is very upscale with a excellent location by the Pantheon. The front door faces Piazza Della Minerva. St Maria Sopra Minerva Basilica is also on the Piazza.

Posted by
3874 posts

We stayed at Hotel Regno on the Via Del Corso. We thought it was a great location - we walked everywhere. When we needed, the front desk called us a Taxi, and when they were on strike, we took the bus outside, a few yards away, when necessary. Had an elevator, staffed 24/7, breakfast. We were there in february so did not need a/c but believe they have it.

Posted by
973 posts

I second Albergo Del Senato right next to the Pantheon. Request superior room with Pantheon view! They have a rooftop bar with 360 degree views, it’s so nice to have a cocktail looking at St. Peter’s Dome. We are going back again and staying there in 2022.

Posted by
6159 posts

We have stayed at both Hotel Regno and Hotel Due Torri for 1 night each- liked both very much.

For longer stays we have enjoyed Albergo Cesari- just around corner from Regno on a small quiet Piazza di Pietra/Adrians Temple. The rooms are not huge but super comfortable, updated and the roof terrace is fabulous. AC, elevator, robe/slippers, etc.
Very good bkft as well. Great location

Posted by
11196 posts

Hotel Palazzo Navona is an historic building with totally redone interior, a design hotel. Chic. It is in a quiet side side street. Walkable to Piazza Navona and the Pantheon. palazzonavonahotel.com

Posted by
2974 posts

My recommendation is to sleep in the Trastervere neighborhood. It’s very bohemian like with great window shopping, good cuisine and is just plain cool.