Please sign in to post.

Hotel recommendation in Florence

Will be in Florence 6/1-6/3 on our trip. I've looked in Rick's book, but still would like a personal recommendation for mid-range price, decent hotel.
thankyou!

Posted by
4152 posts

Mid price range means different things to different people. Can you be more specific? Donna

Posted by
120 posts

I stayed at Il Bargellino, and loved it. My girlfriend & I now compare all other hotels to this one, and try to find similar places to stay in each city we visit. It's run by an American (Carmel) and her Italian husband Pino. Sitting on the terrace drinking wine and sharing stories with the other guest is one of our best memories.

Posted by
3 posts

We loved Il Bargello, and Canadian expat owner Gabriella and her family were wonderful, warm hosts! It is all about location right in the heart of old Florence. But in early October it was too brisk to enjoy the rooftop terrace. Do NOT arrive with a large suitcase however, as it is a very long flight up three floors (six flights) of stone stairs with NO elevator. You had better have been doing your stairstepper at the gym before booking this one!! But certainly worth the effort!!

Posted by
348 posts

we loved hotel calziouli. main street between the duomo and the main piazza. four stars hotel very clean and friendly staff. book throug the email we got the best rates

Posted by
951 posts

We had an amazing experience with Hotel Loggiato dei Serviti. It's just a few blocks away from the Duomo and very close to the Accademia. Our room was an upgrade and boy did we have an upgrade. We got the 2 floor suite (rm 12) overlooking the courtyard for only 95 euros per night (we were there at end of November). The room was about the size of my house here in Florida. Period furnishings. Nice breakfast. The staff was very helpful. I would totally return to this hotel again. you can check out my tripadvisor review and photos if you would like. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187895-d191164-r90212443-Hotel_Loggiato_dei_Serviti-Florence_Tuscany.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

Posted by
1018 posts

You should really specify your budget needs in dollars/euros. Your wording means different things to different people. We have stayed at Mario's Hotel on Via Faenza many times and really liked the place. It is located a few streets over from the main train station and a 5 minute walk from Mercato San Lorenzo. Check with venere.com and tripadvisor.com for hotel selections, pricing, map locations, and client reviews. Buon viaggio,

Posted by
3696 posts

I don't want to speak for Joette, but I have also posted asking for mid-price range hotels and I think that is very clear. Not asking for the Four Seasons or a hostel, but the mid...or middle. The amount you have to pay is relative to the city you are asking about.

Posted by
14 posts

Thank you to Terry for understanding mid range pricing! (I also understand the comments about being more specific too.) Thanks to all for your suggestions..it is very helpful

Posted by
1003 posts

I love staying in B&Bs in italy and had a fantastic stay at La Dimora Del Centro and it should be in your price range. perfect location!

Posted by
14 posts

To RB in PA: I have looked at all those on-line places you talk about, believe me, I've done lots of on-line looking. I was only hoping for a recent traveler's recommendation; not from a book or elsewhere.
I don't mean a hostel or a movie-star hotel.

Posted by
1018 posts

Joette, I did give you a first hand recommendation with Mario's on Via Faenza. Buon viaggio,

Posted by
21 posts

I agree with Debra, and love the B&B's in Italy. We LOVE Dei Mori, which is centrally located, just two blocks from the Duomo, close to Ufizzi, and Piazza Signoria. The owners treat you like family, helping with reservations, tickets, restaurant suggestions, and are generally helpful, without being intrusive. Breakfast is served in the morning, with fresh coffee and homemade bread, which can be taken to the small terrace or enjoyed visiting with other guests as they plan their day. .
It is listed in the Rick Steves Guide Book for Florence, and would defiitely recommend it.

Posted by
672 posts

We just returned from 5 days in Florence and stayed at the Hotel dei Macchiaiolli (www.hoteldeimacchiaioli.com). It was in a great location (near the Accademia), was very reasonably priced, clean, quiet, comfortable, served an excellent breakfast, and had a very friendly and very helpful staff. I highly recommend this beautiful hotel, which is located on the second floor of a former 'palace' and has several public rooms (including the breakfast room) with frescoed ceilings. It is listed in Rick's Florence & Tuscany book. I believe that it was renovated in 2010 and our rooms were spotless. We would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Posted by
14 posts

Thankyou, Robert. That was very helpful! Hope you had a great trip; we are really looking forward to ours!

Posted by
10235 posts

Like Antuany, we stayed at Il Bargellino. The large patio (wifi is available on the patio and your room) was great for relaxing, chatting with people, enjoying a glass of wine... Some rooms open to the patio and some are on the street side. I would ask for a patio room. The patio is available to all the guests.