Please sign in to post.

Hotel or Airbnb

Is there a benefit to staying in either a hotel or an Airbnb? We've never stayed in an Airbnb, are they pretty easy to use and safe?

Posted by
15043 posts

They are safe and are generally cheaper than a hotel, so they are a good value. The drawback is that if you like to have room service or maid service, there is none. Basically you have to make your own bed.
I generally use AirBnB for longer stays (3 or more nights) or when we travel in a larger group. If it’s just for one or two nights, and it’s just me and my wife I don’t bother because the check in and check out process is longer with an AirBnB. Basically you have to learn how everything works (appliances etc.) and when you check out you need to leave the place in a certain way (at the very least you need to dump the garbage). My wife and I use AirBnB a lot in Hawaii every year (but we stay at least one week) or at Tahoe in winter (where we always go with a large group). We have rented apartments in Europe too but so far only with VRBO/Homeaway, not with AirBnB.

Posted by
113 posts

I have a hotel booked, and found and Airbnb, both equal distance from the Termini station. The hotel offers a free mini bar, but the Airbnb is about $100 cheaper. For that, I figure I can buy my own water and soda lol. The Airbnb I found out is also next to a local police station.

Posted by
6794 posts

Big downside of Airbnb is luggage management if you arrive before check-in time or leave after checkout time. Generally you can't leave your luggage at the property, so need to use other luggage storage facilities if available.

Posted by
2462 posts

It is easy to check into a hotel and have them keep your luggage before your room is ready or after you check out. It also is usually unproblematic to find a hotel.

Airbnb s vary on all of these dimensions.

Also hotels can offer suggestions for restaurants and sightseeing while air Bnb usually do not.

In my experience Air BnB s are great for a group and better if you are staying three nights or more.

Posted by
15043 posts

$100 a day is a lot of savings. I wouldn’t worry about crime in Italy. Aside from the risk of being pickpocketed on a crowded bus, you are safer there than at home.

Regarding the comment above that nobody at an AirBnB can suggest restaurants, unlike hotels, that is not an issue. Hotels usually suggest restaurants they have an agreement with. Also most hotel staff are foreign immigrants who may not be familiar with good Italian food.

The best source for restaurant information in the city centers are college students. They eat out a lot, and for the most part they do so in the city center and in reasonably priced restaurants. Italian families rarely eat in city centers, as Italians like to eat out of city or at least out of the city center (city center restaurants are generally more expensive especially in tourist cities).

Posted by
4526 posts

I prefer Airbnbs myself. Solo woman traveler here. I choose ones with multiple good reviews. Sometimes I avoid ground floor apartments if on a busy street but don't generally get too fixated about 'safety'. Whether a hotel room or an apartment I always secure my belongings of value. I like a leisurely breakfast or at least coffee on my own so some semblance of a kitchen works for me. A washing machine is a bonus.
Some places can store luggage. Often it is mentioned on the listing. Alternatively just ask. Termini should offer it and there are apps like nanny bag or bag bnb to find alternative locations.
There will always be those who like airbnb and those who don't.

Posted by
203 posts

We’ve used both AirBnB and Homeaway.co.uk in Europe (Italy and England). Knock on wood, we’ve had great success and stayed in some really cool places (converted 15th Century Barn in the Cotswolds, gorgeous apartments in Rome and Venice. The gal we rented from in Tuscany gave us a bottle of wine from her family’s vineyard and olive oil they’d made). I’ve been able to find better deals in better locations than at hotels and room to spread out. We travel with children, so this is especially nice for a family. It also helps give that feeling of living like a local a little bit.

Posted by
11507 posts

Make sure airbnb has ac if going anytime between May thru sept

The check in times and luggage thing annoy me the most , we’ve done rental in Dublin and Paris ( so four times ) , in Dublin as we were a group of 8 and in Paris for our longer stays ( wouldn’t consider it for less than a week ) . Some places we’ve had to haul our luggage around or sit at a cafe nearby and waste time till we can get in - two places in Paris had meets in codes lock boxes so we could get in on arrival ourselves , but two other times we’ve arrived in am and greeted with keys couldn’t meet us till 3-4 in afternoon - so annoying

Posted by
2767 posts

Strongly prefer Airbnbs for the space and kitchen among other things. They are easy to use and if you book one with plenty of reviews you can feel safe as far as it being honest. Obviously one with no reviews that seems too good to be true at its price warrants caution.

Space = much bigger than a hotel room. If you travel with someone who isn’t your significant other the extra privacy is great.

Kitchen - even if you don’t cook it’s so nice to have space for snacks, a fridge for things like cheese, and wine glasses. My pet peeve is hotels that frown on wine or snacks in the room.

Other pluses - a good one lets you feel like you’re living in the neighborhood, meeting neighbors, etc. More personality than a hotel. Airbnb owners often give you great local recommendations too.

Downsides are the luggage issue if you arrive early or leave late (but some Airbnbs can help with this. Ask. Or luggage storage businesses/train station lockers)
Breakfast - you have to provide your own or find a nearby cafe. Some people like the hotel breakfast. I don’t because often the hours are less than ideal so I like doing it myself. Example - breakfast opens in a hotel at 8:30 but I want to be out sightseeing before that. Or it ends at early I’m jet lagged and sleeping in.
Then the obvious- no room service/concierge. Also no maid service. I don’t make a big mess so don’t miss it.

Posted by
752 posts

The Airbnb I found out is also next to a local police station.

You mention this so it must be of concern to you. It could be a plus (safer?).or a minus (noise at all hours, particularly nights and weekends). I’d check through the Airbnb reviews to see if it’s mentioned and take a tour by google street view of the area.

Posted by
5697 posts

We have rented apartments or rooms with kitchen facilities through booking.com and HomeAway for stays of 4 nights or longer -- some required meeting a caretaker to get keys, others sent instructions for getting keys from a lockbox on the premises. (Airbnb only in the U.S., one marvelous, one disappointing)
Making a bed or washing dishes or taking out the trash are not major drawbacks, while the ability to make simple meals or use a washing machine are BIG pluses. In some cases the apartment owners leave detailed notebooks listing recommended restaurants and sights, and we have always had a phone number for a local contact in case of problems.

But for a short stay, a hotel with a front desk is more convenient.

Posted by
8572 posts

Hands down AirBnb's. Have yet to stay in one that wasn't what was advertised.

My rules of thumb are that there are at least 15 recent reviews, the owner's face, not their pets or some iconic image (Big Ben, Eiffel tower) is posted and that with the time difference they are still prompt with their response.

Always ask up front where the closest market, ATM, public transport, coffee shop and pharmacy are located? Then I ask for an exact address which 99% of the time owners have shared. Helps me locate the property via Google street view so I can see the surrounding neighborhood. Also helps me plot a route if I'm walking from a metro, arriving by taxi or self driving.

I keep in touch with owners before, during and after my stay. Some have become friends.

I like the privacy, the washing machine option, the kitchen space and having WiFi is an absolute must.

Posted by
2281 posts

hey hey doogie
how long will you be staying in town and how many people? we've always stayed in an apartment since usually 4 of us with 4 to 7 days. more room to move around, kitchen with fridge for cold stuff, table to sit at, sometimes we had a picnic as dinner, buying cheese, wine, meat, baguettes and a small shop or store, washer but did hang to dry. most did not have dryers, always have a balcony/terrace to watch the world and rooftops listening to churchbells, happy hour and coffee.
bad side is the luggage issue. some will let you store before checkin (read fine print), with checkin afternoon (1 to 3, some later) is very annoying but it's the rules. we usually have our flights arriving after 12 noon so it's closer to checking in. ask how all appliances work before they leave after walk thru. what floor (a lift or how many stairs/steps to climb with luggage)
had a horrible airbnb in london, she was out of country and let her 17 year old daughter with friend check us in, had no clue about apartment that was "2 bedroom" no way living room was bedroom and dining room, no privacy, no lights at bathroom sink, only in shower, went to wash clothes, found it full of water with last guest clothes in it. never could reach owner, it's been taken off the site. from then on i stayed away from airbnb, my own opinion.
cross-pollinate.com
residenziagiubbonari.com
tripadvisor.com (vacation rentals)
booking.com (filters on left side)
shortstay-apartments.com
have a fabulous trip and enjoy.
aloha

Posted by
113 posts

The Airbnb that I found is called Smart B&B. Not sure if anyone has stayed there before. I found some reviews on here however they are a number of years old. The Airbnb host is also a Superhost, not sure if that is important or not.

Our stay is for a total of three nights. From what I've read the host is very knowledgeable of the area and willing to share that knowledge. There are a number of keys to get into the apartment, which is on the fifth floor and with a small elevator. From what I've read this is a flat that has a common area, with no refrigerator in the room, but there is one in the common area. I didn't see anywhere on there where I had to take care of my own trash at the end of my stay. The room we found is significantly larger than the hotel room we also have booked.

I don't think ac should be an issue, we are going at the end of November, unless its still warm then? The check in/out times work for us, we arrive well after check in and have to be at Termini before check out.

There are also a number of restaurants around the b&b that I could see on google maps. I am not to worried about the breakfast, they both offer a continental breakfast, plus I think I'd rather see whats on the menu at a local spot too.

Posted by
113 posts

Hey Pricness Purple

its just my wife and I and we're staying a total of three nights in Rome.

Posted by
15681 posts

It is easy to check into a hotel and have them keep your luggage
before your room is ready or after you check out. It also is usually
unproblematic to find a hotel.

Personally, I think not having this service is the biggest drawback to a rental as we've used free hotel luggage storage so many times, sometimes for the lion's share of a day. Also, a rental may not be the best idea for anxious, first-time travelers: a 24/7 desks can be reassuring for those worried about encountering a problem they might need assistance with, especially should that occur in the middle of the night.

As you look to have a tight arrival-day Friday afternoon (14:00) with a Colosseum tour already booked that evening (18:15) I'd definitely go with a hotel to increase your chances of making that tour time...not that it's not already in question if your plane is delayed, the immigration line is very long, etc. If you are running just a little late, drop the bags with the hotel and run: no waiting for someone to let you in, cover all the details about the apartment's equipment and whatnot, etc.

Posted by
15043 posts

Doogie. From your description what you are renting is not a full apt. It’s a B&B type of accommodation.
Basically those are often very large late XIX or early XX century villas or apartments where the individual bedrooms (often very large) are rented individually. Just imagine a regular large home or villa where you rent each bedroom (and attached bathroom) to different guests. So basically you don’t have the full apartment to yourself, but only one bedroom with its private bathroom just like a hotel. The bedrooms have their own keys that you keep. The common area is probably the apartment hall when you enter the apartment. So you will have 3 keys. One key for the main “portone” (big door) downstairs which allows entry from the street to the apartment building. The building will have at least one apartment in each floor. Once you go up the stairs or elevators to your floor, you will use a second key to enter the apartment. As you enter the apartment you will be in the entry hall. You will then use a 3rd key to access your bedroom. Other guests will stay in the other bedrooms. So the accommodation is similar to a hotel, in the sense that you really only have a room to yourself. The difference is that, unlike a regular hotel, there is no reception desk or concierge in the building. So it’s like staying in an apartment shared with other guests, whom you will probably never see. Those kind of accommodations in an apartment are called B&B. Sometimes the owner lives in the same building. They are cheaper than a hotel room, because there not the services typical of a hotel (like the manned reception desk) but the accommodations are similar since you only have one bedroom+attached private bathroom to yourself, not the full apartment.

Posted by
4526 posts

So, Doogie, this isn't a full self contained apartment via AirBnB. but a room in an apartment? To me this is less appealing, but I do it ocassionally. I can't find this listing on AirBnB without a lot of searching. You say it is a superhost - which yes, means a lot. I would want to know there is a lock on the door. Personally, I would also want an ensuite - or at the very least, know how many rooms she is renting out to others. A place is only going to be as good as the other guests there with you.

Posted by
752 posts

Hi, Doogie,
I looked at the Smart B&B website and it looks like we were confused a bit. The Smart B&B looks like a traditional bed and breakfast with communal kitchen area. So not an individual apartment. What a huge savings over your hotel and the TripAdvisor reviews are good. No wonder you’re attracted! Just confirm with the B&B about luggage storage before check in and after check out. Buon viaggio!

Posted by
113 posts

Thank you all for the replies, they are all very helpful!!!

I ended up finding an Airbnb that is an entire flat that also comes with a balcony and a view for a little less than the hotel. I believe I am going with this. The owner seems very helpful, which is what a lot of people have written in their reviews. It's close to Termini, so the subway is there and it's not far when we arrive on the Leonardo Express.

As for the night Colosseum tour, I think I am going to cancel that since we have a day tour booked the next day with a private guide. Plus, I don't want to stress about making it if a hiccup happens to occur.

Posted by
4526 posts

The new place sounds great. Just ensure there are numerous reviews.

Posted by
2067 posts

I just hate taking up so many apartments from the local population. Locals are being priced out of city living so I will only use hotels for this reason.

Posted by
113 posts

Hi MariaF, he does have a lot of good reviews, I haven't really found any bad ones. 100% of recent guests gave the check in process 5 stars, he's a supervisor, and 90% gave the location 5 stars - which is about a five minute walk from Termini.

Posted by
430 posts

I like AirBnb's as well, and try to use them as much as possible, but be aware of host cancellations. On three trips and about 6 or so Airbnb bookings per trip, I've had at least one cancellation each time. I do tend to book quite early, so I am partly to blame, but, geez, those notification a few weeks out sure get my anxiety up. On our upcoming trip, had already one cancellation by host and had to initiate another one myself. I sent out emails to reconfirm, and one fellow would not respond. Starting looking and found in the reviews he cancelled about 50 bookings within the last two months, giving a 3 to 7 days notice only. Prior to that, he had glowing reviews.

Posted by
113 posts

Hmm🤔 is the host cancelling a common thing with Airbnb? Now I am wondering if I should go this route. I didn't see anything in his reviews about this.

Can you tell me where you were traveling that the host cancelled? And, is booking early a bad thing with Airbnb?

Posted by
4526 posts

Dougie, when are you traveling?
FWIW I haven't had a host cancel and I tend to book up to 9 months in advance. At worst, you can cover your options by booking a hotel with free cancellation to within 3 days of arrival.
Some cancel and recharge when special events or so far out, they hadn't properly priced for Holidays. Sometimes city changes rules do they have to cancel to renovate or drop their listing
Sometimes something gets damaged and they can't do repairs in time.i prefer to not use ,'instant book' option.

Posted by
113 posts

Hi MariaF, we are traveling the last week in November. I think I did an instant book, but I've been communicating with the host and it seems to be pretty good. I paid half now and half when I get there. I still have the hotel book and I think I have until the 21st of November at noon Western Europe time to cancel for our Nov. 23rd arrival.

I also think I am the only booking for November so far. I also know that's the low season for Rome.

Posted by
4526 posts

If you've been in touch and you feel good about it, then give it a chance. I've had places from Ecuador to Spain and numerous ones in North America. I do check reviews every couple of months and sometimes invent questions to ask just to ensure they are paying attention 😉. I also always reconfirm either a week before or when I leave my home town. You have a hotel just in case. You can't do much more to cya.

Posted by
430 posts

I had one cancel in London days after I booked, apparently because of misunderstanding between the host and airbnb. It was one of those automatic bookings. The replacement I found cancelled about a month into the booking. I had one cancel in Arles and on our upcoming trip, Shannon cancelled and Edinburgh is the one I cancelled before he had a chance.

Posted by
521 posts

I like staying in Airbnbs because when I travel with my mom, we can stay more cheaply than in a hotel and each have our own room. Plus, we enjoy cooking with local ingredients and like having access to a kitchen. I always read the reviews carefully for cancellations but we’ve stayed in Airbnbs in Italy, Ireland, Scotland, Austria and England so far in 2019 with no issues.

Posted by
245 posts

Having a kitchen is a huge plus for me if I'm ever staying somewhere for more than a couple of days......I don't care if it's less expensive (and sometimes it isn't), but the ability to do some local shopping and eat nibbles and home made for a meal every now and then. Especially since I like cooking and making my own food, and sometimes eating well in is a nice change from eating well out.

Posted by
1369 posts

I read all the Airbnb reviews and watch out for things like the host doing cancellations, hosts with dozens of apartments, and hosts with only old reviews. Usually stay with superhosts. Never been cancelled on in Italy.

We love having more than one room and I also hate having to get dressed and be in public for breakfast the way you do in a hotel or B&B.

Posted by
3940 posts

I've been using airbnb since 2011 - at last count - about 35 times. Only once in all that time did I have a cancellation - and it was for 1 out of 3 nights - she somehow double booked, and offered to either cancel the whole stay, or to keep the other two nights and be given a 10% discount. We were only a week away from staying and were on the road, but that's why ipads and expedia are nice - I booked a hotel nearby then we stayed at her place the other two nights. I always read thru most of the reviews - if I see a couple of 'cancelled by hosts' posts - I keep moving on - there are so many out there to choose from, I'm not taking the chance.

Posted by
4526 posts

With all due respect, activities in Montreal don't necessarily reflect activities in Rome. Italy has an 'airbnb tax' from 2017 of 21% that the host has to pay. There is also in Rome a requirement to register any more than 4 units as a business. Once a city organizes their short let rental laws, things get tidied up. Ottawa and Toronto have done this, Montreal has not. So (AirBnB) slum landlords go where they can get away with it and will try any way they can to make themselves look better than they are.

Should one read all reviews and possibly remove the best and worst? Sure, if possible. Or look for key details that allow you to realize they were actually in the rental or talking with the host.
I was at an AirBnB this weekend. I specifically mentioned some additional items they now have and activities that can be done in the area. No plant review would bother to do that.