Please sign in to post.

Hotel near Rome Airport

My husband and I have a 11:15 am flight out of the Rome's Leonardo da Vinci Airport on a Sunday. We will be coming back into Rome from Chiusi in Tuscany. Our plan is to take the train back and find a clean, decent hotel near the airport to stay so that we can minimize the hassle in the morning. Does anyone have a recommendation for us? Thanks!

Posted by
7737 posts

As you can imagine, you're not the first to ask this question. Here's a really great summary of your options, thanks to Ron in Rome

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you. I looked back at previous postings, but hadn't figured out how to search even older postings.

Posted by
32331 posts

Jill, If you want a Hotel that's really close to the Airport, you could consider the Rome Airport Hilton. You can very easily walk from there into the Terminals, so it doesn't get much more convenient than that. Cheers!

Posted by
2207 posts

Thanks Michael; Jill, if you have an 11:15 flight directly back to the States, you'll be departing from Terminal 5 at FCO. All USA-flagged airliners depart from here and most suggest you be there about three hours in advance, or 08:15 AM. The good news is, with that time of "arrival" at FCO, you can use any mode of transportation available to you to get to FCO. The airport buses, trains, taxis, and private shuttles are all operating before 07:00 and thus you can easily make your airport "arrival" time no matter where you stayed. That said, I suggest staying in the city. I'd rather spend my last night in Rome walking downtown than sitting in an airport hotel. But if you're at the end of a LONG trip, or you need to drop off a rental car, I can understand wanting to stay at a convenient location. Just know that NOT ALL "hotel locations" out near Fiumicino Airport (FCO) are convenient. If you're leaving from T5, you'll have to ride a shuttle, bus, or taxi from EVERY hotel, including the Hilton. For a few other options near the Leonardo Da Vinci Airport, you might look at this post of the best-rated Hotels and B&B's near the FCO Airport. Just make sure to check-out and know the shuttle options. Some are free; some require reservations, etc. Good Luck!

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you both for the great advice. I'll look into something in the city versus the Hilton. It may depend on how early we get back into Rome from Tuscany. I appreciate your help!!!

Posted by
14 posts

Jill, I too thought of staying near the airport for a 08:00 flight out of rome. After checking many options near the airport, I took "Ron in Rome" advice and stayed another night at my hotel in the center of the city, near the fountain. The hotel made arrangements for a taxi at 05:30. Got to the airport at 06:10 had a little coffee and left Rome at 08:00. The best thing of all is I had another night in "Rome center" and a great meal in a restaurant near Largo Argentinia.

Posted by
1103 posts

I agree with posters who recommended that you stay in the city. We have often stayed near Termini and used the Leonardo Express to get to the airport.