Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Venice

Help! My husband and I are leaving on Saturday for a 3-week trip to Italy. I researched hotels and made the reservations well in advance of the trip. I had a lot of difficulty finding availability in Venice. However, I was able to book a room at Locanda Barbarigo. I checked Trip Advisor and was pleased with the reviews at the time. However, I checked the reviews again this evening and they were awful. Has anyone stayed at Locanda Barbarigo? Any advice or suggestions for another place to stay at this late date would be appreciated. By the way, I have been on the computer all evening trying to find another hotel and have not been successful. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Posted by
3313 posts

I use Tripadvisor a lot, but I use it with a grain of salt. If you see a couple of very negative reviews, look to see how many reviews the posters have made. In this case, they were from reviewers with only one post each. That's a sign of a hit campaign from one bad apple or a competitor. If you look over the last few months, the reviews are positive - and from people who have multiple reviews. I don't think you should panic.

Posted by
501 posts

I agree with Doug,wholeheartedly! Consider Pensione La Calcina, a RS choice.

Posted by
203 posts

If you find yourself locked in to this hotel, you may be able to get some "balance" to the bad reviews by joining TripAdvisor and send a personal message to the members who posted recent reviews, both good and bad. Most will respond if they have a true and honest complaint or if they found their stay to be beyond their expectations. You may find that the complaints are coming from a nit-picker who will never be happy anywhere. That should help give you some perspective. I use TA, but it is just one of several tools I use when researching hotels.+`

Posted by
7737 posts

I checked out the reviews on both venere.com and booking.com and they both give it an 8 out of 10. The most recent reviews are at booking.com They're fairly positive. I wouldn't sweat it too much if you can't find someplace else. Just go in with lowered expectations and you'll probably be fine. Happy travels.