Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Venice

We are looking to stay in Venice for 2 nights in June. We have a very early flight home and would love suggestions of a good place to stay that is convient to transportation to the airport. We will be traveling with an infant, so we would like to stay in the heart of Venice. Anyone have any suggestions? Suggestions on travel to the airport at 4am would be welcome too. Thanks.

Posted by
73 posts

Jeannine
We used one os Rick's recommendations the Pension Alberto. It's a short walk to the Rialto bridge, it was 150.00 euro for a room for two with continental breakfast. It was really central and there was a market below to buy fresh fruit.

Posted by
7737 posts

I wonder if Kim is referring to Pensione Guerrato, a long-standing RS recommendation and favorite of many on this board. It certainly matches the description. (We've stayed there twice and love it.) And I don't find any "Pension Alberto" in Venice. Wherever you'll be staying can tell you the best way to get to the airport for an early flight. We were facing the same problem - having to fly out of Venice on a 6:45 am flight. Our solution - get a return flight with a 23 hour layover in Paris. We leave Venice around 10:30 a.m., arrive in Paris around noon. Go into the city and spend the night, then go back to the airport the next morning for an 11 a.m. departure. We did a similar thing the last time we went to Italy. From Venice we had a 23 hr layover in Copenhagen (thru SAS). It was great to be able to spend at least a few hours in another major city. And no need to leave our lodging at 4 in the morning.

Posted by
10230 posts

We also stayed at Pensione Guerrato and it was very convenient to the vaparetto. I have no idea how to get to the airport from there, but found the people at the front desk to be very helpful.

Posted by
153 posts

We stayed at the Hotel Al Codega which was about halfway between St Mark's and the Rialto. Though any location can be close to a taxi or Alilaguna. Near the Rialto (we arrived into Venice) is where we arrived via Alilaguna. I found that to be the most direct way to the airport that didn't cost 100 eu, it is roughly a 30-45 trip however, and you'll want to peruse its hours of operation

Posted by
62 posts

I love Residenza Ca' Foscolo, right between Rialto and St. Mark's. Lovely, well-priced apartment hotel (two night stays are no problem) with-- bonus for traveling with infants--washing machines! Water taxi is the fun (and pricey!) way to get to the airport early, but Alilaguna works well, too. If you go to the alilaguna site and look at the blue line, it shows the early morning schedule. San Marco was our closest stop, but our hotel suggested walking just a bit further to the Fondamente Nove stop, which is the last stop before Murano, and then the airport. San Marco leaves at 3:40, and Fonamente Nova at 4:20, so just a little longer walk saved us a few minutes of sleep and just sitting on the boat for 40 minutes. Blue line gets you there at about 5:00, which is perfect for those early morning flights; nothing is really open before then.