Please sign in to post.

hotel in Venice

Has anyone heard of Casa Lagana on Calle Ruga Giuffa? I was referred there by Ricardo of Corte Campagna B&B. The Casa Lagana is not in Rick Steves book and I cannt find a listing anywhere online. The owner did email me that vacancy is available for Sept...just a bit concerned that I don't see it listed.

Posted by
3313 posts

It has listings online - mainly in Polish and Czech, but listings, nonetheless.

Seriously, there was a small boom in installing vacation rental apartments in old buildings in Venice. This may be an example that hasn't been in business long enough to develop a reputation.

Posted by
1201 posts

Google is a wonderful thing.....

Here is their official website.

http://www.casalagana.com/

The area is nice, the photos look good, but I do not have any experience with the apartment or agency.

Posted by
108 posts

Jan, I have not heard of Casa Lagana, but we have stayed and are again staying in September, at Casa Sta. Maria Formosa on Campo Sta. Maria Formosa (in RS Italy 2009 book), which is a few blocks up Ruga Giuffa from Casa Lagana.

I can tell you that it is well situated, about half way between Rialto Bridge and St. Mark's, and that one of RS' highly recommended Venice restaurants is also nearby on Ruga Giuffa.

Not sure if this helps, hope it does.

Posted by
27 posts

Don't know much about Venice hotels, but Ruga Giuffa is very central. A street that leads directly to Campo Santa Maria Formosa. You are about 10 mins walk from the Rialto, and 5 mins from the waterfront and San Marco. It is a nice location, scenic street (come to think of it, all streets are scenic in Venice!) and lots of shops and eateries along the way.

Posted by
372 posts

I received the following reply when I inquired:

"I am pleased to inform you that I have a beatiful " B&B Casa Lagana (www.casalagana.com) " with tree beautiful rooms: Monet (double) with add of one bed , Renoir (double) with add. of one bed and Gauguin( double whit separate beds). each room is decorated with typical Venetian style with Murano items and original paintings venetian. Both rooms are equipped with separate bathroom, hairdryer and cortesie service , autonomous air-conditioning, television and free internet point in the hall and kitchen available with all the comforts). are available on the nights of August 22 and 23 a the proper price of euro 125,00 per room per night including breakfast.

Casa Lagana is located in the sestiere of Castello, Calle Ruga Giuffa 4902. Venice is made up of six zones, aech one called a sestriere.
Only ten minutes from Piazza San Marco and the Rialto bridge for the convenience of nearby shops, but at the same time located in a quiet street near Campo Santa Maria Formosa. The reception service is open 12/24. On request, someone will wait for the guests at the boat-stop at the Rialto Brige or Saint Mark and he will be pleased to accompany them to the Casa Lagana"

Hope this helps!

Posted by
13 posts

I got the same reply as Kathleen. I've been having a hard time to find anything reasonable for the 5/23 weekend in Venice. Almost everything is booked.

Anyone has experience with this new establishment?

Posted by
2 posts

I and my friends we were casalaga a few days ago. It is a very nice apartment with 3 bedrooms many beautiful and comfortable. Our room was very large with name Renoir. Mrs. Rita was very kind with us. The b&b is very close to Piazza San Marco with many shops and restaurants. I advice to go

Posted by
1 posts

Casalagana? wonderful place and very welcoming. I was with my family for three days. the owners are very kind people. They also gave my mother a picture of Venice. It is located in the historic center of Venice very close to Piazza San Marco and the Bridge of Sighs. A nice place to spend the holidays. Olga and family

Posted by
1 posts

My family and I just spent 4 very nice nights at Casa Lagana. The rooms are on the larger side. There is a small kitchen where you can cook meals (pots, pans, utensils included) and provides seating for 4 people.
The place is set up with a 2-bedroom, 1 bath unit and a 1 bedroom/1-bathroom unit. The larger unit can be sub-divided, but means sharing a bathroom.

The unit is moden, clean, and faily quiet. Access to St Marks Square or Rialto Bridge is fairly close (5-10 minutes tops).

Rita, the host, was very friendly, but spoke limited English. She provided us with a map of Venice, which helped with our street/canal navigation exercises. She met us at the Rialto Bridge and guided us to the apartment. Alberto, her husband, speaks decent English. Their friend, Enrique, speaks almost no English. Enrique is very punctual and makes breakfast daily (light American continental breakfast).

There is a PC and Internet connection, which was helpful for setting up those last minute reservations to the Duomo and St Marks Basilica.

Thye rooms have AC, which helps at night or during the hotter parts of the day. The bathrooms have good showers and are clean. The beds are somewhat firm, but this is somewhat common throught Europe. The building views are fairly non-existant, but for sights, walk the town.

I would recommend this place for folks looking for a clean, modern accommodation in the heart of Venice without busting the bank.

Posted by
1 posts

I'm staying here in 2 weeks. Will post a thorough experience when I get back. I too was reccomded it by Corte Campana, and am quite curious to see how it is given that there's no reviews to speak of anywhere.

Posted by
1018 posts

Another good place to look for lodging is venere.com. It is the European version of Expedia or Travelocity. Last year we stayed at a placed called Hotel abbazia in Canneregio a few blocks from Stazione St. Lucia on a quiet alley (calle). The place was very nice and moderately priced, according to Venice standards. Venice is expensive, so plan accordingly. I found this place in Frommer's guide and then on venere. The place is a former Carmelite monestery. It is an easy walk from most places or very near the vaporetto station in front of the train station. Venice is a great place to walk as the street plan resembles a dish of linguine. The Venetians did that as a defensive move. Once you move a few streets over from the main attractions Venice is a different place. Also, Venice is a different place after 7 p.m. and the day trippers have departed.

Buon viaggio,

RB

Posted by
1 posts

Has anyone stayed here recently and could give a review?

Thanks

Kirsti

Posted by
2 posts

I am traveling with wife and 5 yr old child. I have been recommended this place by Ricardo of Corte Campagna.

Pls let me know if someone has been there recently and yr reviews. Plus if someone wants to contribute their recommendation of a good place to stay with kitchen at approx Euro 100- 125 per night.

Thanks yr responses will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Maulik

Posted by
1003 posts

Have not heard of this place but one of our favorite pizzerias, Il Vechio Canton, is on Ruga Giuffa at the corner of Calle Rota. Was last here in July 2009 and still found the food excellent. It is also away from the touristy area of San Marco. Buon Viaggio!!

Posted by
2 posts

We are at Casa Lagana now and were also recommended this awful place by Ricardo. I checked their web site and booked it on the recommendation and web site. WHAT A MISTAKE. Although the place is well situated, it is not a good place to stay. Do not book it. Stay far far away. I wish we had. The owners who seemed very approachable before we booked are not answering our e-mails or phone calls. There is a lot of mold in the bathroom, the breakfast is awful, no advice, just an all around unpleasant experience, that we are paying for. I repeat, do not book this place. I am surprised that Ricardo recommended them.

Posted by
11346 posts

I can highly recommend a B&B on Ruga Giuffa, Ai Tagliapietra. While it is not in Rick Steves' book, most likely because it lacks a/c for summer, it is a perfectly situated, CLEAN lodging. Check it out at Trip Advisor. We are paying 95 euros per night (yes, I am here right now, typing you a note!) for a double with ensuite bath. Lorenzo will meet your vaporetto, orient you to Venice, serve you breakfast with yummy cornettos, rolls, yogurt, juice, cereal, and caffe. He is truly a kind and gentle man who runs a super clean B&B. Go online to aitagliapietra.com and send an email to Lorenzo. You'll be glad you did!

Posted by
1 posts

I was with my wife, The hotel is very nice and clean, also is located near Piazza San Marco. The owners are very kind and friendly people. Recommend everyone to go VERY VERY NICE
Vito