Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Venice

Looking for a decent hotel in Venice within walking distance to most attractions. Thanks!

Posted by
544 posts

Hotel La Serenissima is about midway between the Rialto Bridge and St. Mark's. My experience just last year was that the rooms were clean, breakfast was adequate, and the deskclerks were helpful.

Posted by
247 posts

Sue,
Don't know what price your looking for but on the cheaper end we stayed at "Al Portico Guest House". We plan to stay there again. 225euro for 3 nights plus 8%tax/ Clean but some of the furniture could be replace. It did have a small bathtub. It was fine for us

Posted by
1510 posts

We stayed at Hotel San Giorgio, also between the Rialto and San Marco. You can check it out at booking.com.

Posted by
96 posts

We stayed at Hotel Orion, which was just off San Marco Square...through the arch under the clock tower. Very close to the action...actually it is right in the middle of it.

Posted by
35 posts

Hi Sue, Dona Palace near San Marco I've stayed there twice. Once with my sister who needed extra space because she's in a wheelchair. They were fantastic and have reasonable rates and the breakfast was excellent! Hope you enjoy Venice, it's a magnificent place to visit. Andrea

Posted by
35 posts

Hi Sue, Dona Palace near San Marco I've stayed there twice. Once with my sister who needed extra space because she's in a wheelchair. They were fantastic and have reasonable rates and the breakfast was excellent! Hope you enjoy Venice, it's a magnificent place to visit. Andrea

Posted by
22 posts

Sue-We stayed at Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo, as I remember it was about 125 Euro a night. It is not in San Marco or right by the Rialto bridge, but easily within walking distance. What we liked about it was being in a neighborhood rather than in the more touristy part of Venice.

Posted by
41 posts

I plan to take the train from Rome to Venice and am looking at staying at the Dona Palace. What train station in Venice is the most feasible to get off? I went to trenitalia.com and it has me going from Rome TE to Venice (Mestre). After googling around I came across another train station in Venice called Santa Lucia. Is there a bus depot at either one of these train stations to enable me to take it to the Dona Palace? Thank you.

Posted by
7737 posts

Mike, you're piggybacking a bit on Sue's topic, but the answer to your question is that Venezia Mestre is the last train station on the mainland. Venezia S. Lucia is the train station on the island of Venice proper. It gets there via a long causeway.

Posted by
41 posts

my bad...apologies to Sue....I was hoping to prevent starting another Venice hotel question and cluttering the board with a similar question. Again, my apologies.

Posted by
7737 posts

Remember that hotels have a great incentive to get you to their doors, so their websites almost always have a "How to get here" section, often under the "Location" page. The Dona' Palace Hotel, for example, on their Location page says this: By Train - The vaporetto and private watertaxi docks are opposite the train station of Venezia S. Lucia. This is also a great tip if you're wondering how to get to a certain town or neighborhood that's not right on a major train line. Find the biggest hotel there and check out what their webpage says. Happy travels.

Posted by
435 posts

I don't know your budget, but a remarkable hotel experience is Locanda Orseolo. Check the extraordinary reviews on Trip Advisor. Small, family-run, right off St. Mark's Square, superb service, serves a remarkable breakfast. One runs out of superlatives. Check out the reviews.

Posted by
32847 posts

To follow up from Micheal from Seattle's point, if you look a little further down the same page from your hotel you can see that they suggest the number 1 or number 2 vaporetto to Rialto and give walking directions, or to San Marco and give walking directions. To say it is 5 minutes from either seems a bit of a stretch, but maybe it is.