Please sign in to post.

hotel in venice

A group of us will be staying one night in Venice after a cruise. We are looking for a mid price range hotel that is easy to get to without going on boats,walking over bridges. One we can take a taxi to, yet is within walking distance to the top attractions. Thanks for your help
Judy

Posted by
784 posts

I'm not sure that there is ANY mid price range hotel in Venice that is easy to get to without going on boats or walking over bridges. And even if there was, you would HAVE to walk over at least some bridges to visit any of the top attractions. There are hundreds of bridges in Venice. And, for us to be able to help you, what is your price range when you mean "mid price range hotel?" Also, I've never taken a cruise, so where in Venice do you depart from the boat? Along the Riva deglie Schiavoni? And by taking a taxi, do you mean a water taxi? They are very expensive, and there aren't any cars in Venice. The waterbus (a vaporetto) can be useful to get around, but still, you would have to go over some bridges.

Posted by
4 posts

Price of the hotel would be around $250. We are a group of seniors who have worn out our knees and hips traveling. We don't want to drag luggage over bridges, once we get rid of our bags we will be able to get around. Not sure where the big cruise ships come in?

Posted by
419 posts

A wonderful, family run hotel is the Hotel Saturnia and International on the 22nd of March Steet. Its restaurant serves some of the best food in Venice. Meals are served outside, weather permitting.
It is within walking distance of St. Mark's Square.

Posted by
784 posts

Judith - I think you'll need to find out where your cruise ship docks to be able to locate a hotel that has no / few bridges in between the cruise ship and the hotel. I'm sure the cruise company can tell you, and probably also can provide a transfer from ship to hotel for you. Either way, if you post here where your boat will dock, it's more likely that someone here can suggest a hotel within easy distance (or within easy distance of a vaporetto stop). The hotel we stayed in during our most recent visit to Venice has, as far as I can recall, only one bridge between the vaporetto stop at the Rialto, and is close to San Marco. It's called Cà Bragadin Carabba, Calle Scaleta 6041 Venezia. There's a flight of steps, however, up to the reception area, and then stairs up to the rooms. I dont' remember there being an elevator. But the hotel is probably in your price range.

Posted by
19653 posts

The big cruise ships all dock at the Stazione Maritima, which isn't walking distance from anything. Sounds like you are perfect candidates for a water taxi. Figure 100 euro for the boat split between your entire party.
You aren't going to see much in Venice without crossing a bridge or riding on a boat.

Posted by
19653 posts

Hotel Violino d'Oro might fit the bill. On a canal, so easy access via water taxi, elevator, short walk to Piazza San Marco, 3-star rating.

Posted by
32519 posts

Sam is correct about where most of the boats dock, and correct about its remoteness. And I agree that if you have a group that an arranged water taxi might be just what you need. BUT... you said, " get to without going on boats" and water taxis are most certainly boats. Not hugely big ones and you most definitely have to climb in and out of them.

Posted by
7209 posts

Seems that Judith has no idea what Venice is really like. Sounds like she also wants to hail a taxi (the kind with 4 wheels) to drive her to her hotel right in San Marco. How unfortunate...maybe too much time spent on cruise ships watching the world go by??

Posted by
4 posts

OUCH TIM, I thought the helpline was supposed to be helpful not hurtful. For all those who gave suggestions I want to say thank you. Once I found out about a vaporetto then I knew to look for a hotel near a vaporetto stop and that has solved my problem.
Happy Traveling

Posted by
6898 posts

Judith, there is a people mover from the cruise ship area to the Piazzale Roma. From the Piazzale Roma, it's a 600' walk to the Hotel Papadopoli. This is a very nice hotel. You will have to cross one canal bridge. Yes, you will have to bumpty-bump you luggage up the bridge and bumpty-bump down. Canal bridges have either stairs or raised pieces of wood. From the cruise port or any place in Venice, you have no choice. Venice is not one island. It's about 170 different islands. Canal bridges everywhere. If you intend to depart Venice on the train, it's back over the small canal bridge, back through the Piazzale Roma and over a much larger canal bridge that spans the Grand Canal. Then, it's a short walk to the train station. Once off the Piazzale Roma, you either have to walk or travel by boat to see any other part of Venice.

Posted by
106 posts

Judith, Definitely check with your cruise line to see if they will arrange a transfer. We did a cruise in Venice, and the cruise line arranged everything for us to get to our hotel. That included a private water taxi (which I think you would find easier to deal with than the vaporetto) as well as them moving our luggage for us. It may cost a little more, but it sounds like it might be worth the cost for you to make your travel a little easier!

Posted by
9 posts

I'm glad you asked this question as I was looking for some alternate hotels in Venice. I've been there 5 times, and whatever it takes to get from the ship to the hotel, it's worth it! I'm a newbie at this site, so I hope negative responses are not the norm. It's all about karma.
Good luck on your trip.