Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Rome

We are arriving one day early in Rome and fly out the next day. We are looking to return our rental car and take train to a hotel and have some fun for the day and leave in am.
Any recommendations for hotels that are under $200 and easy to get to train and back to airport?

Posted by
23547 posts

Anything in the Termini area works. We have used Aberdeen, Sonya, and Contilla. For one night probably use Contilla, It is just block south of the south door to the terminal. For more than a night our preference is Sonya. The Aberdeen is terrific except it is about ten minute walk from Termini.

Posted by
951 posts

I also enjoyed Hotel Sonya. The breakfast is in abundance and my room was large with view of Opera house.

Posted by
198 posts

Hi Susan, We stayed at Hotel Sonya and it was a good experience. The room we stayed in was a bit small, but it was adequate. The hotel has interesting security (you use your card that opens to a hallway with just a few rooms, then again to get into your room). The rooms are divided up in small groups like this. There is a vintage elevator. The best part is that it is just a few blocks from Termini. Very convenient for catching an early morning train or metro! It has two sections of the breakfast room, and the food is good. Since it is in Rick's book, you can mention that for a discount. Happy travels!
Ruth

Posted by
32320 posts

Susan, You might consider leaving your rental car at the airport and then taking the Leonardo Express into Roma Termini. If you stay in the Termini area, that will make your trip back to the airport very easy. I agree with the others that Hotel Aberdeen or Hotel Sonya are both good choices. Whether the rooms are under $200 will depend on whether you're travelling in "high season" and what the exchange rate happens to be at the time. Check the Hotel websites for current rates. Happy travels!

Posted by
61 posts

I personally didn't like the Termini neighborhood as much as other areas but, if you are staying in that area, my vote would also be for the Hotel Sonya.

Posted by
11294 posts

I don't agree that staying in the Termini area is the easiest for returning to the airport. As some have posted, it can still be a 10-15 minute walk, with luggage. It's easier to stay where you want, then just arrange a cab from you hotel to Termini. Door to door service for not too much money, and you get to stay where you want. I don't like the Termini area, at least the parts I've seen that are close enough to roll my luggage to easily. I don't know the Hotel Sonya, though, so it may be in a better area.

Posted by
976 posts

I like the Hotel Smeraldo ( a Rick pick) near the Campo de Fiori, prices range but seem a good value to me. They can arrange a cab to the airport for 40 or 50 euros, more than the train but much more convenient for just one night. Much nicer area then Termini.