Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Rome and Florence

Hello!

We will be having our honeymoon in Rome and Florence in mid June. We have never been to Italy and would like your recommendations for walking distance hotels to most sites. Does anyone have a recommendation of a place to stay that is reasonably priced and in a good location for sight seeing?

Thanks!

Posted by
922 posts

Congrats! We went to Venice, Florence and Rome on our honeymoon. In Florence, we stayed at the Hotel Accademia. It's a block from the Medici Chapel and a couple of more blocks to the Duomo. The Hotel Smeraldo in Rome is near Campo de Fiore and Largo Argentina. We walked to the Colosseum and Forum from there and also walked back from the Vatican. Both were reasonably priced but we stayed in November. June prices will be higher. Good luck!

Posted by
1829 posts

This would be a very nice hotel to stay on your honeymoon in Rome.
We loved our stay here (not our honeymoon but an anniversary and they upgraded our room free of charge to their largest suite)
http://www.solealpantheonrome.com/
Best possible location for exploring the ancient city sites and the view was unbelievable.

Posted by
1184 posts

Florence: Hotel Albani Firenze - very classic, with great full breakfast buffet included.
Rome: Hotel iQ Roma - very modern - great full breakfast buffet, about $10 pp, worth it.

Both are very close to train station, on quiet streets, easy walking (Florence) or near major bus and metro stops to quickly go to any point in Rome.

Posted by
6 posts

My most favorite hotel in Florence is Hotel Torre Guelfa. They have great rooms just steps from the Ponte Vecchio and they have a rooftop terrace where you can enjoy delicious Italian wine with an unobstructed view of the Duomo.

http://www.hoteltorreguelfa.com

Posted by
32 posts

I stayed at Hotel Smeraldo in Rome. I loved the location down a small, quiet street. We could walk everywhere from here. The room was nice and clean too.

Posted by
5 posts

Have you considered using Air BnB. They have accommodations that can be quite luxurious and romantic. In Rome I've stayed at the Excelsior which is near the Borghese Gardens, not too close to the Pantheon area where Rick prefers to stay but easily accessible by bus and Metro. I've also stayed at an Air BnB in the San Giovanni area, I loved it! It was not touristy and gives a good feel for everyday Rome.
For Florence anywhere you stay in the city center is fine because it's such a small city and you can pretty much walk everywhere.

Posted by
1018 posts

Florence: We stayed at the Hotel Albani Firenze, mentioned above, and the property was outstanding. The rooms were spotless and spacious, the staff was excellent, and the breakfast was generous. It's located two streets from SMN train station just off of Via Nazionale. The Mercato San Lorenzo is a 5 minute walk, the Duomo is a 10 minute walk, and the Piazza della Signoria is a few minutes from the Duomo.

With some many upscale music schools in Firenze the street musicians are terrific. We would always spend some time after dinner listening to the buskers in the corner of the Piazza della Signoria where it meets the Uffizzi.

Roma: We now only stay in the upscale b&b called Armonio All' Opera across the street from the Roma Opera House. We like the Puccinni Suite. It's on the fourth floor accessible by a funky antique elevator or stairs. It's in the Esquilino area of Rome in a safe and quiet neighborhood.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding and remember to take time for each other. Italy will always be there, so discover, "Il dolce far' niente."

Buon viaggio,

Posted by
11 posts

We are planning to stay 4 nights in Rome and 6 in Florence. Is 4 nights in Rome enough?

Posted by
1184 posts

Short answer is that four nights should allow you to see most of the major attractions in Rome. More nights would always be better, but i would say that about any place. And if you add a night to Rome, you presumably will take away from Florence. If you have a lot planned in Florence and surrounding area, that would not be so good.

Posted by
75 posts

Congratulations. My husband and I took our first trip to Italy in November 2014. We were in Rome for 4 nights and Florence for 5. Afterward I wished that we had given up one night in Florence and added it to Rome. For me, our time in Rome felt rushed as there is so much to see and do. I listened to others who had told me that more time in Florence would be best. That being said Florence is lovely and relaxing. I liked the excitement and craziness of Rome and my husband loved the tranquility of Florence. In November we had no overwhelming crowds or waiting times for anything in either city. I am sure you will both be happy either way and know that you will return to Italy. Happy travels.

Posted by
113 posts

Florence: Great place in the center of town close by foot to everything. Not considered a hotel but rather an extended stay and the rooms have a kitchenette so you can make a meal in the room if you want. Breakfast included. We were there about 5 days. Large suite type rooms. Mid range price Excellent http://www.palazzovecchietti.com/en/

Rome: VERY small boutique hotel (4 rooms) owned by the Hotel Hassler (5 Star) about half a block away on the Spanish Steps. You get all the service of the Hassler without the price. Not cheap, but what is in Roma. Great location and nice rooms. Here is the link:
http://www.hotelhasslerroma.com/en/il-palazzetto

Enjoy your time.

Posted by
365 posts

I agree that I would stay 4 nights in Florence at hotel Albergo Firenze and 5 nights in Rome at Hotel Aberdeen. Unless you are planning on distant day trips in Tuscany then stay 5 nights in Florence. There is so much to do and see in Rome you could stay a week and not see all of the highlights. Have a wonderful vacation.

Lorieann