Please sign in to post.

Hotel In Rome

We're headed to Rome in a few days and are booked at a hotel near the Termini Train Station (my brother who's traveling with us booked it!). I've heard pros and cons about staying in this area. Anyone have a strong opinions one way or the other?

Posted by
23245 posts

That is where we always stay. A little more reasonable, some nice local restaurants, and very convenient to local transit. We always recommended it. Headed back this fall to Rome and that is where we will stay again.

Posted by
565 posts

It's just OK to me. It wouldn't top my favorite areas to stay, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it either if I found a great deal. I stay just west of there in the Monti area 75% of the time and actually just got back a few days ago. Monti is full of great places to eat and still has kind of a non-touristy feel so you will be close enough to that if it's what you are looking for. Rome is compact enough that if you are able-bodied, no place inside the walls is a bad location. If any of your party has any mobility issues, you may want to look towards the Pantheon area. Some love it for the value and transport hub, some hate it for the utilitarian vibe. I think it's just 'meh'. Enjoy Rome either way!

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks to you both. Frank, you mentioned some good restaurants there. Can you give me some recommendations. It's our first time in Rome and restaurants tips would be greatly appreciated. David

Posted by
11294 posts

I'm in the anti-Termini group, but do realize that the "Termini Area" can be north, south, east or west of the station, and that it can mean a block away (yuck) or several blocks away (variable). Do you know the specific hotel or street?

Posted by
11613 posts

I prefer the Piazza Navona/Campo dei Fiori/Pantheon area. Central location for sights, restaurants and walking around at night.

Posted by
2023 posts

Agree with Zoe-your best and most interesting restaurants are near Campo Fiori, Navonna, and Pantheon. We have stayed twice near Termini but will never do it again. So I guess my opinion is anti Termini area.

Posted by
7209 posts

Termini is kind of like the armpit of Rome. It's fine for sleeping and if that's ok with you then Termini is an ok place. If you're expecting to throw open your window and admire the Pantheon or the Vatican then you'll be sadly disappointed with Termini.

Posted by
2023 posts

We threw open our hotel room window and had a view of a derelict lot that was just off Via Nazionale. Horrendous traffic noise all night. But I still think David & group will have a fabulous time in Rome! If you arrive by train & need a taxi (the walk could be rough with traffic) be sure it is an authorized taxi-look for shield on door with a number.

Posted by
6 posts

All, Thanks much for your opinions. I believe we are staying at the Hotel RomAntica, which is SW of the train station and a block or so from basilica Santa Maria Maggiore. Has anyone stayed there ? David

Posted by
565 posts

David, I know the area a little, not the hotel. There are probably not lesser places to stay but if I was on a budget trip and it was just my cheap self and my cheap sister and we found a deal and needed a place to throw our stuff on a bed, I'd be fine with it. Just walk a few blocks to Via Urbana. There's a lot of great places to eat there. The rest of Rome is a 15 minute walk down Cavour.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks for the info Leslie. We're going to Venice, Siena and the Cinque Terre and will be splurging at those places so a budget place in Rome is good enough.

Posted by
115 posts

Both of my Rome hotels recently were in the termini area. Never felt unsafe, found a few places good to eat.

Posted by
7737 posts

Remember you can use Google Maps Streetview to look around for yourself.

Posted by
6 posts

Hi Liz, Thanks for the info. Were any of the places to eat you found nearby the basilica Santa Maria Maggiore? any restaurant suggestions would be appreciated. david

Posted by
6 posts

Michael, Thanks for the tip, it's one thing I hadn't thought of.

Posted by
1174 posts

Our first trip to Rome is in September. We booked the Sonya Hotel, 5-6 blocks from Termini. We are also looking at the Colosseum Hotel, closer to the main sights. Are taxis plentiful at Termini to get to just about any hotel closer to the sights? We usually don't stay near train stations in Paris or other European cities and are hesitant to do so in Rome. However, Rick touts the Sonya so we need some advice.

Posted by
951 posts

In Rome we stayed at Hotel Sonya. Had nice view of opera house. Good breakfast, comfortable beds. Central to most sites. Would I stay there again? Well, I would most likely stay in Trastevere, which is where I wanted to stay in the first place but many people said for my 1st time in Rome, I should be more central.