Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Milan?

Hello,
We will be traveling in Italy this July for a total of eight nights. We are two adults with our two teenaged children. We are going primarily to see Venice (2 nights) and Rome (4 nights), but we are flying in and out of Milan because that was the best airline rates.
So my question: is it worth it to spend the first night in Milan or head right to Vencie, thereby adding an extra night in Venice? Originally I thought staying in Milan would give us a chance to walk around and relax after the plane trip (from US). But in seeing the prices of hotels in Milan I'm having second thoughts. We arrive in Milan about 9:00 am and I'm wondering how much of a hassle it is to take the train from Milan to Venice after just getting off the plane. If anyone knows of a decent priced hotel in Milan, pleae let me know--we have to either take two rooms or a family room (quad) and of the three cities (Venice, Rome, and Milan) Milan seems to be the most expensive.
Thanks!
Eileen (Baltimore)

Posted by
11613 posts

If you get in at 9am I would just press on to Venice and crash there. Give it an extra night. Even if you get to a hotel in Milan, there's a chance you won't be able to check in for an hour or more. Relax on the train, Venice will be the last stop so you can't sleep through it.

If you are flying out of Milan, there are good inexpensive hotels near the train station.

Posted by
663 posts

You came to see Venice, so go directly to Venice!

I had a similar conundrum in whether to stay in Rome where I land for a night or head directly to Sorrento. I chose to stay in Rome because I don't want to deal with switching trains in Naples on little to no sleep, and because I have nearly 3 weeks for my trip so 1 night in Rome didn't really matter much. Besides this gives me the chance to stop by the trevi fountain in the evening to toss in my coin and insure a return trip!

I'll be flying out of Milan, and have booked a room for 2 nights at Hotel Garda. The rates seem reasonable, except that it doesn't include breakfast.

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning toward pushing on to Venice!

Posted by
22 posts

Hello, We are also a family of 4 flying into Milan too because the flight rates where so much cheaper than anywhere else. We are going straight to Venice when we get in. It's only like a 2 1/2 hrs by train. On the way home we are spending the night in Milan near the train station so it will be easier to get to airport. The hotel name is hotel Berna. We did have to get two rooms and the rates were reasonable. The hotel has high rate reviews on booking.com and tripadvisor. Good luck!

Posted by
32814 posts

The Hotel Berna will treat you right, if your experience is like mine was. That's where I stay when wanting near Milano Centrale. If they take you to the annex across the street, don't worry - it is as nice or nicer.

Posted by
267 posts

I agree Hotel Berna is wonderful! Very near the train station, so easy hop on and off for underground and trains.. In fact, we plan to stay there again in Oct before we head home. Also, Hotel Duca De York is a good choice.

Posted by
1540 posts

I have also stayed in Hotel Berna - excellent, but last time it was full - so I stayed in Hotel Garda just across the street from the Berna , and a bit less expensive. Both are only about 1 or 2 blocks from the central train station.