Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Florence

I am looking for a nice hotel in Florence. Hotel accademia, Galileo hotel, Hotel Dali are in my price range. Any ideas. We want to be centrally located. So many choices is making my head spin.

Posted by
1003 posts

Have you thought about a B&B? There are several really nice ones right in the center that are affordable and a great experience. I stayed at B&B La Dimora Del Centro last fall and loved it. Very inexpensive given the quality of accommodation and especially the location. I also loved that breakfast was a card that you took downstairs to a cafe for pastry and coffee where you could stand at the counter like a local. I've stayed in Florence outside the center in the Oltrarno (Hotel David to be exact - which is a WONDERFUL hotel), and right in the center in Piazza della Repubblica, and I must say that I really preferred staying very centrally located. So I would say personally, if all else is equal, stay as close to the center as possible. Just my opinion based on my experience. at the end of the day there are hundreds of good hotels in Florence and you will probably be fine staying at any of them!!

Posted by
39 posts

I agree. Consider a bed & breakfast or renting an apartment vs. a hotel. I think it adds a lot more “local” feel to your trip and offers a lot of conveniences. Apartments will usually have kitchen and refrigerator, sometimes even washer/dryer. B&B’s offer complimentary breakfasts. Most B&B’s and apartments have free wireless internet as well. If you don’t mind not being in a fancy hotel, you can generally get a better location for the same cost or less if you stay in an apartment or B&B. Some sites to check out are: www.sleepinitaly.com, www.venere.com, and www.italyrents.com. Make sure that when you are considering a specific room/apartment to check what floor it’s on and whether there is an elevator/lift. Stairwells are usually narrow in older buildings in Italy and can be a pain if you have a lot of or larger luggage. If you ever dreamed of staying in an Italian castle, this is also possible, and a good option if you want to splurge or have a large group. Check sites like www.rentvillas.com and www.tuscanynow.com.

I've put together some tips from our last trip to Italy to cover everything from museums to accommodations to restaurants. If you'd like me to send you a copy just email me.

I love Florence. You will also. :)

Posted by
255 posts

Laura, you don't state when you are going, so I am not exactly sure what your price range is as many places base their pricing on the "season" you are visiting.

In Florence, we have stayed at Soggiorno Battistero and Residenza Giotto. Both of these are centrally located at the Duomo. I can highly recommend each of these places. The only drawback for me to Battistero is the number of stairs and no elevator. Giotto does have an elevator and an outside terrace with great views and can be used for wonderful picnic dinners.

Posted by
114 posts

Just returned from Florence ourselves. We stayed at Porta Faenza which is 2 blocks from the train and bus stations. It is a mid-range priced hotel, central, and clean. Beatrice and Francesca are great! Florence is a lot smaller than it looks, so staying "right next to the Duomo" is really not so important. We just walked the couple of blocks, and Faenza street is a lot quieter than the streets near the Duomo. Nice bar on the corner of Faenza and Nazionale for good espresso and very extensive evening chiccetti offerings. The gelato shop across the street from the bar has amazing offerings, too. This was our second stay at Porta Faenza.

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks for your replies. I got an apartment in the Duomo through vrbo. I am thrilled.

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks for your replies. I got an apartment in the Duomo through vrbo. I am thrilled.