Please sign in to post.

hotel in bologna

We are flying into Bologna in mid-Sept. and need a comfortable/reasonable suggestion for a hotel that's not too far from airport. Any suggestions?

Posted by
175 posts

Michele,
We stayed in "Hotel Paradise" for 4 nights in March. Good location between train station and town center. Nice area for restaurants etc. Liked Bologna a lot. Took day trips to Ferrara and Parma. Also stayed in Ravenna 4 nights and saw the wonderful sights there.

Posted by
1829 posts

A taxi from the airport to the city centre will cost about 15 euro and there is also a frequent airport shuttle bus that costs 6 euro pp so you could stay in the city. You wll have more choice of hotel and eating places.

Posted by
32701 posts

The airport in Bologna is undergoing renovation. This means that although the walking paths through the airport are a bit confused it is very well labeled. The ceiling is out in the baggage reclaim area but there is enough light. The BLQ bus in to town is around to the right as you come out and is very easy. It starts at the southern end of town, goes into the centre, turns north, and winds up at the railway station, then loops back out to the airport. We found that the return trip was quite a bit slower than the advertised 20 minutes. We were at the tail of the rush hour, just before 10 am. No problem though as the airport is quite small and fairly well signed in departures. There is plenty of food and vendors airside. The worst cup of coffee I've had in Italy near the departure gate, in a paper cup served by a dragon who didn't speak Italian. We weren't much impressed by Paradise Hotel. I've been agonizing over what to say about them as the ladies (all ladies) are all so pleasant, knowledgeable and lovely and I'd hate to say anything which would reflect poorly on them. The brekkie is very nice if simple and abundant, and the ladies bring you whatever type of coffee you like. The room we were in wasn't us. Everything was very clean, plenty of power points and a desk. When we were told that the room had a skylight and we could "see the stars from bed" we had no idea that that would be the only window in the place. All 4 walls had no window. We kind of prefer to be able to see out and see the weather. The bed was the hardest and most uncomfortable we have ever had but we loved the location and the staff. That's why I have been so ambivalent. Food was either wonderful or pizza al taglio.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks so much for all the great information. It sounds like the hotel would be just fine for one night! I'll put up with a hard bed if it's clean and the hosts are kind. Thanks again.

Posted by
1829 posts

Nigel - sorry to hear about the room at the Paradise, it would not have suited us either and for a whole week! Feel a bit guilty having told you about the place but maybe luck of the draw? Other than that hope you enjoyed Bologna. Am there now (just got back from a day in Parma) and it is so wonderful to feel warm when out and about. Almost forgotten what it is like!

Posted by
396 posts

My hotel of choice in Bologna is the San Donato at vis Zamboni 16. I always arrive by train and take a taxi from the train station. I have never arrived in Bologna at the airport. San Donato is walking distance from great restaurants, gelato and a great piazza with famous fountain and church (San Petrino). They serve a wonderful breakfast (included in the room price) and the rooms are clean and comfortable.