Please sign in to post.

Hot springs in Tuscany

Hey folks - please talk to me about your experiences with hot springs in Tuscany! Bagno Vignoni is at the top of my list right now, with Saturnia as another option. We'll probably stay around that area for 2-3 nights - first week of Dec. I'd love to hear your advice & experiences!! Thank you!!

Posted by
7255 posts

So, as it turns out, I just did a tour of a few Tuscan open-air hot springs in October.
Saturnia was too far from my base north of Siena, so I did not go there.
I went first to Vignoni: the village is beautiful, and the springs below the village as well, but they are not very hot. It felt lukewarm in a cool October morning, it might not be hot enough at all in December.
Not far from Vignoni, there is Bagni San Filippo: those are amazing. You pay 2€ (have cash) to access a succession of hot pools along a river, with some beautiful lime formations. The sulfur smell is present but not too overpowering.
Last, I went to Terme di Petriolo. Riverside location in the middle of nowhere, a rather long way from anywhere of interest. The pools were nice and hot, but not sure it should be your top choice.

Posted by
18 posts

@balso This is awesome, thank you. I've heard that the Bagno Vignoni natural springs might not be hot enough - and that getting a day pass to a private hotel spring in town is another option. That's not 100% my cup of tea (especially if they are high end spa kind of places), but wonder if you tried any of those? And any thoughts about making BV a base, did it seem like a nice place to be for a few days? Thanks again!!

Posted by
7255 posts

I did not try any private spa.
As for making Bagno Vignoni a base: it is cute but it might be a bit small, and very quiet in December. Pienza is not far and has a lot more going on.

Posted by
795 posts

I know that I have stayed in an agriturismo near Grosetto in the past a few times and we always just drove down the street to the hot springs along the river, the Terme di Petriolo like the previous person! They smelled AWFUL and at nighttime people are a little looser with their clothing, but it was always fun......it you are staying nearby, its very easy!

I am amazed that someone else has been there! hahaha

Posted by
7255 posts

Regarding Petriolo: yep, it did take more than one wash to get the sulphur smell out of the towel and swimsuit 😂. San Filippo is also sulphur-ey, but less so. It's fairly common in hot springs anyway. In a few days I'm off to Baden, Switzerland so I'll have the chance to take another hot spring dip, lucky me :).