Please sign in to post.

Hostels in Rome

My best friend and I are staying in Rome for three nights and are looking for a hostel to stay at. We are in college and are looking for cheaper prices but also A great atmosphere.

When I search on hostel world.com there are many locations in Rome. Which locations should we look at?
Rome, lazio
Rome Fiumicino, lazio
Rome Ostia Antica, lazio
Rome Castelli Romani
Rome Ciampino, lazio

Any suggestions of specific hostels as well?
Thanks!

Posted by
43 posts

The Beehive is a great place to stay. I just returned from Rome and stayed there. They only have a few hostel beds and did not have any rooms when we were there, so we stayed in their apartments. They were great! They are located about two blocks from Rome Termini, the central train station. That region is a good place to stay. The places you list are all pretty far from central Rome. There are huge numbers of hostels and hotels in the Termini region. It is a very convenient place to stay. Pretty safe, too. Contact the Beehive. If they cannot accommodate you, ask them for a reference. They are very good at that. Otherwise, when you go to hostelworld.com, scroll down to just the Rome, Italy locations. You will have an easier time.

Posted by
32200 posts

dale,

One Hostel that I'd recommend is Alessandro Palace, which is about a 10 minute walk to Termini station. Last time I stayed there, rooms in a four-bed dorm were €35 PP (cash only). I'd recommend booking as soon as you have your dates finalized, as it's a very popular place.

The Hostel is very modern with electronic card keys, which also activate the electrics in the room, and the rooms are cleaned daily. Most rooms have an ensuite. There's a bar which opens in the evenings and I've always found it to be a very "lively" place, with guests from all corners of the world. They have another property, Alessandro Downtown in the same area, but I've never stayed there so can't provide any information on it.

Note that for Hostel stays, you'll have to pack along a towel (microfibre types work great), flip-flops for the shower and a small but robust padlock for the lockers.

Posted by
11294 posts

To answer your question directly, all the locations except the first (Rome, Lazio) are outside the center of Rome. Some will have better transit links than others, and at least one (Ostia Antica) is an attraction in its own right. Two (Fiumicino and Ciampino) are airports. I don't know anything about Castelli Romani. But I wouldn't want to waste time commuting to see sights, not to mention the diminished experience of being in "suburbs" instead of the glorious center of Rome. (I put suburbs in quotes because at least some of these places, like Ostia Antica, are within city limits. But the same way that Queens or Staten Island are within New York City but are quite different from staying in Manhattan, staying outside Rome's central areas would be a very different experience).

Posted by
35 posts

i am in college too. i stayed at kolping hotel casa domitilla, pretty cheap and decent and includes breakfast. 15 min bus ride to the central area. i suggest you try to find hosts to dine with to get the authentic local dinning experience instead of eating out in restaurants because they can get pretty expensive. you can try Bonappetour