Please sign in to post.

Honeymoon Itinerary

So my fiancé and I are taking our Honeymoon in the very beginning of June. We will have about 14 days, not including 1-2 days in travel time. We are trying to figure out our itinerary, and need some help. We want to have a mix of sight seeing, culture, etc...while also have the traditional relaxing honeymoon. We didn't want to go to a place like Bali, Fiji, etc because we thought we would get bored after awhile. My fiancé has never been to Italy, and that's her dream. She hasn't been anywhere in Europe for that matter. I, myself, have done quite a bit of traveling...Rome, Florence, Tuscany, Greek Islands, Barcelona, Grenada, Nice, Monte Carlo, Eastern Europe......so I want our trip to have some places I haven't been either. I want to be able to see a lot of places, but without doing too much and being on the go constantly, after all, it is our honeymoon. I thought about Rome, Amalfi Coast, then flying to Southern Spain, maybe the Costa del Sol, or the Costa Brava. Somebody else brought up Italy, then Croatia beaches. I'm a little more partial to the Spain idea, because I love the food...but I'd be open as well to other ideas. Does anybody have any itinerary suggestions for us? Thanks in advance!

Posted by
32212 posts

Bryan, Congratulations! The first suggestion that comes to mind would be to ask your fiancé which locations in Italy she's most interested in seeing. As this is "her dream", you may have to re-visit some of the places you've already been to. With 14-days "on the ground" and based on your preference for Spain, you might consider splitting your time between Italy and Spain. One possibility would be to fly to Milan and spend a few days in Varenna on beautiful Lago di Como (a location which is perfect for Luna di Miele). From there you could travel to either the Cinque Terre or Siena and finally spend a few days in Rome. That should be about perfect for one week. You could then fly to whichever location you choose in Spain. There are budget flights available to various points in Spain (Barcelona, Granada, Sevilla). Of course, using open-jaw flights would be the best idea, especially with such a short time frame. Good luck with your planning!

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks for the reply. She definitely wants to go to Rome, and the Amalfi Coast....as far as Italy is concerned.

Posted by
32212 posts

Bryan, Thanks for the additional information. That changes things! In that case, you may want to fly into Rome and then immediately head for Sorrento. An alternative would be to fly into Naples, which would be easier (I haven't checked on flight availability from your area). Sorrento makes a good "home base" for the Amalfi Coast and from there you could take a day trip by Bus to Positano, a ieisurely cruise to the posh island of Capri or visit Pompeii via the Circumvesuviana commuter train. Spend three or four days there and then return to Rome for a few days to see the great sights there. Again, use a budget flight from there to Spain. Cheers!

Posted by
78 posts

Everyone is different. What I like, you may not. That being said, I can't imagine a more romantic place for a honeymoon than Venice. Stay in the center and spend an evening strolling Piazza San Marco listening to the outdoor orchestras playing. Wander hand in hand over the little bridges over countless small canals. Spend the money for a gondola ride at night. It may sound corny but it's the real thing. There's no more magical and romantic place in the world!

Posted by
653 posts

The Amalfi Coast is as romantic as the Lake Como area, so I think that makes sense. Rome is fabulous, as you know. Perhaps go to one of the small hill towns (Castelli Romani) for a daytrip out of Rome, or go to Siena or Florence for a couple of days before you go to Spain. If you decide to leave Spain for another trip, there is Sicily.

Posted by
2030 posts

I second Bob's suggestion of Venice - the most romantic and unique place I have been to in Europe.

Posted by
130 posts

My husband and I celebrated our first anniversary with 14 nights in Italy this past September. By far, the most romantic place we went was Venice. We also loved Cinque Terre, Tuscany and Rome.