Please sign in to post.

Honeymoon in Northern Italy

We have roughly 10 days in Northern Italy in October. We fly into Milan and stay there for a day before going to Lake Como. Does anyone have suggestions on where to go from there? We were thinking one more destination to stay for a few days before returning to Milan to fly home. This forum is fantastic for places to stay and things to do in each city buy we were really torn on places to go and wanted to get some feedback. We thought about Cinque Terre but have been on the fence about it recently.

Posted by
2476 posts

Verona is very charming. Or, you might consider somewhere in the mountains - Castelrotto or Ortisei, for instance.

Posted by
5131 posts

Verona would also by my choice. Easy rail connection, lots to do for several days, and not too much hustle and bustle. Love long and prosper.

Posted by
11467 posts

The Dolomites, stay in Ortisei or take the train to Venice if you haven't been there before. Stay in a location away from St. Mark's and it's crowds.

Posted by
1015 posts

Hello TravelSloth, welcome to the forum and congrats on the wedding!

I would second (or third) the vote for Verona. It is a pretty, very pedestrian friendly city full of shopping, sightseeing and an outdoor cafe culture vibe. I think it would be a great low hassle place to wander the city and enjoy the very European atmosphere. It is a wedding destination city so they are accustomed to wedding/honeymoon style activities, but whether you want to share that or not is up to you.

My stretch suggestion would be Venice - still only 2.5 hours from Milan by fast train. I absolutely love Venice and think it is a magical and amazing place, but even I acknowledge it can be a logistically challenging and tourist crowded place to visit.

I guess it depends on what kind of experience you're looking for on your honeymoon. If you want charming, wandering and low impact travel then I say Verona. But if you think the magic of Venice will make more memories and are willing to go somewhere the buses only run in the water and you may have to dodge high tide I'd definitely opt for Venice.

Have a great honeymoon!
=Tod

Posted by
2476 posts

In the event you do decide on Verona, I wanted to recommend the Giardino Giusti, a genuine 16th century Italian garden.

Posted by
101 posts

If you enjoy wine tasting you could go to some nice areas outside Verona (sommacampagna for example) or to franciacorta for their sparkling wines (outside Brescia)

Posted by
968 posts

What about something like Santa Margherita Ligure or Comogli on the Ligurian coast? You could day trip to Cinque Terre.

But Venice could be very special!

Posted by
97 posts

We honeymooned in Merano and fell instantly in love with South Tyrol. The town is surrounded by mountains, vineyards, orchards and castles with trails winding through all of it. We especially enjoyed walking the town's promenades. https://throneandvine.com/merano-italy-promenades/ You could also add a visit to the Dolomites from Merano as it's about an hour's drive to Alpe di Siusi, Europe's largest Alpine plateau. Wherever you go, have a wonderful time!

Posted by
2476 posts

Merano is a fine suggestion also! I have a garden recommendation for there also: the Gardens at Trautmannsdorff Castle. Very expansive and gorgeous.

Posted by
107 posts

Have you considered a little town called Vicenza? It's very romantic and has an amazing history. The food and wine is wonderful. Check out the Olympic Theatre and Antonio Palladia. Also, Treviso.....Venice is so romantic if you find accommodation in the areas away from tourists. You could easily use Vicenza as a base to visit Verona (I personally find Verona too touristy but it's good to see once). Congratulations on your marriage.

Posted by
727 posts

Congratulations TravelSloth!

@Kate-thankyou for the link to throneandvines. We will have an overnight in Merano-now wishing for longer-when we complete a 5 day hike. Hoping weโ€™ll have the energy to walk the Passer Promenade all the way up the Tappeiner Promenade once we reach Merano after 11 miles that day! It looks so beautiful, Iโ€™d hate to miss it. Whatโ€™s 3 more miles? Well, sixโ€ฆโ€ฆ