Please sign in to post.

Honeymoon in Italy

My fiance and I are going to Rome and Venice a couple of days before we leave for a Mediterranean Cruise. We arrive in Rome on March 21st. I want to dress nice casual but not sure what to expect weather wise. Any good recommendations on cute comfy shoes to walk in all day? Lastly, we are fixing to buy our hotel rooms and need some good recommendations. Thank you!

Posted by
7737 posts

Do you have the RS book for Italy at least? It's a great starting point and addresses all those questions (well, maybe not the cute comfy shoe one.) :-) Good luck, and best wishes.

Posted by
15618 posts

First, congratulations on the upcoming nuptials. I have had very good results using the Trip Advisor website to choose hotels. The reviews are a good indication of what to expect, read them carefully and with a grain of salt, both the positive and negative ones. Sometimes you will get a better price booking directly with the hotel than using one of the booking agents on the web. Weather in March in unpredictable. Cute and comfy don't really go together. Maybe ballet-slipper types, but with thick soles (cobblestones can really hurt). And if it rains . . . There are several discussions of shoes on the Graffiti Wall - have a look there.

Posted by
62 posts

We were in Rome and Venice last March, and in March 2008, and both times it seemed like EVERYONE was wearing boots. I brought a pair of Clark's boots that looked great, felt great, and took me everywhere-- and I definitely tested them thoroughly!

Posted by
975 posts

Congrats and best wishes. There have been several threads on shoes, search and read about all the favorites. I think you get what you pay for with comfy shoes. The brands keen, ecco,merrell, mephisto, gabor, new balance,wolky, are good, but what works for someone else may not support your foot or be cute enough!
You can mail order from Zappos or even Nordstrom's but that may take too long if the first few pair don't work. Take the names of the brands and ask some local stores if they carry them and get fitted if you can. Happy honeymoon!

Posted by
4408 posts

From the voice of experience: choose comfy WAY over cute; if you also get cute, that will just be a bonus! As previously mentioned, BE SURE your soles are thick (like athletic shoes or Birkinstocks). Those cobblestones and rocks will really hurt!!! So, NO flip-flops, or 'regular' ballet-type slippers; if you want ballet slippers, make sure they're from a 'sporty' brand of shoe like Keen, Teva, etc. - the soles must be rigid (but flexible, of course). Caution: wear what's comfy; many a traveler has gotten a blister on the First Day that ruined their trip...8^( Seriously. Ditto on the RS "Italy 2011" guidebook. Also, go back to the "Travelers Helpline" page; halfway down under "Tips and Tricks" you'll see "FAQs:" - click on that, then click on 'Weather". That's the best anyone can do - an historical average... >>And God Bless You - "we are fixing to buy"!!! I'm fixin' to get all misty-eyed and homesick!!! Girl, go have yourself a Dr Pepper ;-)

Posted by
15618 posts

Oh yes, blisters. Pack some moleskin along with manicure scissors. I even carry some with me in a day pack. It's amazing. Apply at the first sign of discomfort.