Please sign in to post.

Honeymoon in Italy

I got the Rick STeves Italy book, and it is great. I wish he had a specific itinerary for a 2 week trip, like he does for a 22 day trip. We want to see as much as possible. DO you think its possible to fly into Venice and be able to go all the way down to the Amalfi coast within 2 weeks? We are thinking to rent a car, but is it easier/ better to take the rails? Any advice would be helpful!
Thanks

Posted by
32220 posts

rosie, With only a very short 12 days, you're better to focus on 3-4 places with day trips. I'm not sure you'll have time for both Cinque Terre and Amalfi coast? The C.T. fits better with your overall route, while the Amalfi coast will require more travel time. As you "love the beach", I'd suggest Monterosso (C.T.) as it has a great sandy beach with lawn chairs (there may be a small charge for those). I can't think of a better location for a honeymoon! However, for travel in September, I would highly recommend getting accommodations booked SOON! There are many different ways this could be arranged, and this is one suggestion.... > D1 - Flight to Venice > D2 - Arrive Venice, light touring as you'll be jet lagged > D3 - Venice > D4 - Venice > D5 - Train to Florence (depart about 10:00) - pre-arrange reservations for Uffizi or Accademia if interested. > D6 - Florence > D7 - Train to C.T. > D8 - C.T. - hike trails, lay on the beach, try Pesto in the area where it was invented, enjoy the local wine or a glass of Prosecco before dinner, visit each of the towns by train / boat or take a day trip to Porto Venere or Portofino. > D9 - C.T. > D10 - train to Rome (use a direct train from La Spezia, about 3H:45M) > D11 - Rome > D12 - Rome - possible day trip to Sorrento or Pompeii - it's a long day, but possible. You could also take a day trip to Orvieto, a beautiful Umbrian hill town which is only about an hour from Rome. > D13 - Rome > D14 - Flight home - take Leonardo Express to FCO - DON'T forget to validate! There are a few things to be aware of when riding trains in Italy. If you need information, post another note. Congratulazioni e Buon Viaggio!

Posted by
5 posts

No, we arent really into hiking, but it is so beautiful there along the coast! its probably one of main reasons why we decided to go to italy for our honeymoon... so u guys think its def too much of we do the following?: Venice- 3 nights FLorence- 3 w a day trip to CT. Amalfi Coast- 4 nights- staying in Sorrento Rome- 2 nights What if we cross off Rome, im in the city every day of my life, granted its dirty NYC and not Italy, but... just saying id rather go to where im surrounded by more nature and beautiful scenery, not just buildings... ( no offense to anyone ) sorry if im eing annoying, but i need help! :)
thanksss!!

Posted by
10257 posts

Sure, you can do it in two weeks. It all really depends on how many places you want to see. I like to plan my trips according to how many nights I will be somewhere. It's easier to keep track of my time that way. Keep in mind that 2 nights only gives you one full day, etc. Do you have 2 weeks from the day you leave home until the day you return home? If so, you really only have 12 days in Italy. With 12 days you could fly into Venice (3 nights), train to Florence (2), train to Amalfi Coast (3), train to Rome (4). Fly home from Rome. If you actually have 14 days you could add those days to Florence and do a couple of day trips to hill towns in Tuscany. Or spend 4 nights in Tuscany with a day trip to Florence. Many people recommend Sorrento as a good base for the Amalfi Coast. Using the trains is best. The only time a car would be beneficial would be to explore Tuscany. You definitely don't want a car if you stay in Florence.

Posted by
7737 posts

First, when will you be traveling? Second, I don't understand your question: "DO you think its possible to fly into Venice and be able to go all the way down to the Amalfi coast within 2 weeks?" Of course it's possible, since it only takes about five-six hours by train. Let me discourage you from "seeing as much as possible," and instead encourage you to pick some destinations that appeal to you (based on Rick's book) and stay at least 2 nights in each location - 3 nights is waaay better, if you can swing it. The standard first itinerary to Italy includes Venice, Florence and Rome. Give those cities 3 nights each. Add the Amalfi coast for two or three more nights. That leaves you with 2 or 3 nights. Pick one more location along that route - maybe Sienna?

Posted by
3128 posts

I would include a couple of nights at a romantic place like Varenna on Lake Como. Just because. But don't try to include too many places or "see everything" or you will end up seening nothing but the inside of a train or the landscape from a car. And as for renting a car, it makes no sense if you are going to Venice, Florence and Rome and train connections are very good and driving and parking a car in these cities is crazy hard (and impossible in Venice).

Posted by
7737 posts

I want to caution you against including Lake Como in this itinerary. Yes, it's romantic, but then so are Venice and the Amalfi Coast. Lake Como is quite out of your way, and would eat up valuable travel time. Look at a map to see what I mean. Also, start getting comfortable with www.trenitalia.com to figure out how long it takes to travel between places.

Posted by
5 posts

We are looking at traveling the second week in September. And yes we lose 2 days traveling, so really we will be there for 12 days. I am glad to hear that we can make it down to the coast with the time we will have!! i definitely want to try to hit cinque terre. we luv the beach. thank you everybody for your helpful advice! i hope i plan this trip well! it is only my second time traveling to europe! im sure i will be back with plenty more questions...
if anybody has anything to add, please let me know!

Posted by
1994 posts

Since you have relatively little time and say you love the coast/beach and definitely want to see CT and Amalfi, I'd suggest you just focus on those places. If you're flying into Venice, I'd suggest 3 days there, then train to CT for 3 days (plus much of 1 day for transit), and then train to Amalfi/Sorrento/Naples for 3 days (plus much of 1 day for transit)... with 1 more day to add where ever you are most interested. Fly out of Naples for your return or take the train back to Rome for flight (which could be challenging, if you have an early flight). You need to a be a little cautious when you look at what RS suggests covering in a specific number of days; that's a fast moving schedule that assumes all logistics go really well (and they usually don't... getting lost, missing trains, transit strikes, issues at lodging, etc, all take time).

Posted by
10257 posts

When I planned a 4 week trip to Italy I had both the Amalfi Coast and the Cinque Terre in my itinerary. When I had to shorten my trip to 3 weeks I eliminated the Amalfi Coast. It was the odd place out geographically, when taking my other destinations into consideration. With only 12 days you are even more limited, unless you want to spend all your time in transport. What is it you want to see and do in the CT and Amalfi Coast? Are you planning to hike?

Posted by
5 posts

wow- ken your on point!!... im printing this out and taking it with me!! thanks everybody for taking time to help me out!!
cant wait!