Please sign in to post.

Home Base Summer 2024 First Week of July

My family and I will be traveling to Italy during the Summer. I know that may not always be the best time, but I am a teacher and my daughter is a college student. My wife has the most flexibility.

My wife and I have been to England, France, and Belgium. This will be our first foray into Italy.

We would like to have a home base in Rome. We are planning on staying for 8 days.

We would like to find a hotel near the Coliseum, tour Rome, and have day trips.

We do not want to do too much, sometimes less is better.

What can we do??

Posted by
4811 posts

I'm not really sure what you are asking. You can easily fill a week in Rome. Are you just asking about suitable day trips? If so, please share your transport preference and how long of a journey you are interested in.

Posted by
6472 posts

First, get a good guidebook. Your public library will have a selection. Rick's books are a good place to start.

Peruse the book, and note what places, and perhaps more significantly, what kinds of places, interest you. Then come back for great advice!

Posted by
27648 posts

The Monti neighborhood is fairly near the Colosseum. I enjoyed staying there. The neighborhood has a good selection of restaurants and isn't crammed full of tourists, except for the areas right around the Colosseum and Termini Station.

However, many people on the forum recommend staying farther north, around the Pantheon. That would probably result in considerably less walking. I felt as if I was always walking around one of Rome's hills or detouring around some pay-to-enter historic site.