Please sign in to post.

Hiking Mt. Vesuvius

Has anyone hiked Mt Vesuvius? We are going to Italy in October and this is on our agenda. I'm not finding a lot of good reviews. Any advice?

Posted by
3112 posts

I hiked Mt. Vesuvius in late September 2008 and enjoyed the experience. The pathway up from the parking lot where the bus stops is fairly long and very steep, but the views from the top are amazing. Be sure to go on a clear day, and take a jacket (and your binoculars if you have them). It was cool and windy the day I visited. Budget 4-5 hours round trip from Pompeii.

Posted by
32222 posts

Sarah, I'm not sure why that particular hike wouldn't be receiving good reviews, as it's actually quite pleasant. The hike up the mountain wasn't too difficult (even at my age) but I found the downhill hike a bit more difficult (hard on the knees). As Frank mentioned, the view is incredible, both looking into the crater and of the surrounding countryside. Hopefully you get a clear day. There are some snack bars on the top if you need to buy a drink or whatever. Happy travels!

Posted by
89 posts

I've made the hike a few times, and it's beautiful. October should be a great time to go, since it won't be too hot or too cold. The hike itself isn't too strenuous, especially after the first 400 meters or so. It's steep initially then more gradual. There seem to be plenty of buses going there, but I don't have any info on their schedule. You can really see forever from the top. Enjoy!

Posted by
8293 posts

It was a cold and damp day when we hiked (actually it's more of a walk than a hike) up to Vesuvius and near the top was the welcome sight of a plump lady selling steaming cups of espresso. So delicious and so warming!

Posted by
8 posts

Great advice. I'm noticing one can take a bus or a taxi from the train to the entrance. Which is best?

Posted by
408 posts

I am taking a Dark Rome Tour of Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius this April. They provide transportation to and from Rome with lunch included. You hike Vesuvius first then have a pizza lunch and then tour Pompeii with a guide. It is a long day 13 hours but sounds like a good tour to me.

Posted by
1 posts

Has anyone tried the Dark Rome tour of Mt. Vesuvius and Pompeii mentioned by Darla? Does the tour include enough time at the ruins?