Please sign in to post.

Hiking in the Dolomites

I'm going to Castelrotto for a few days in mid June to hike in the Val Gardena and Alpe di Suisi and I'm trying to decide if I need to bring my high top hiking boots or if my low hiking shoes would be sufficient. We won't be going up that high to where its really rocky and rugged but plan to walk in the high valleys. The trails I've seen in photos don't look very rugged compared to hiking in the Cascades and I'd rather not lug my big boots if I don't have to.

Posted by
375 posts

I used low hiking shoes and had no problem. Enjoy! It’s beautiful.

Posted by
16241 posts

The trails around Val Gardena, Alta Badia, and Alpe di Siusi are well -made, but can be rockier than the Cascades, as well as muddy, but without the pesky tree roots. The problem this year is the snow: they got a huge amount and it lingers, especially in the higher areas.

Check the webcams to see current conditions:

Alpe di Siusi:

https://www.seiseralm.it/en/webcams.html

Higher passes:

https://www.valgardena.it/en/webcams/

As you can see, it depends on the altitude and position of your hike. If you are comfortable hiking on snow in you low-cut hiking shoes, you should be OK. I would do it in my Salomon low-cut shoes as they have good lug soles, but I would take hiking poles for sure ( which means checking a bag).

We are in Europe now and have been hiking in the Pyrenees, with some snow but not on the steep sections. This is my second trip here for hiking without my regular hiking boots, and I am happy with my choice.

Posted by
4 posts

Appreciate the helpful suggestions. I had hoped we could find snow free trails by mid June. We want to do some walking but not anything terribly rugged at the higher elevations. I think I'll stick with my low top Lowa's.

Posted by
11156 posts

We hiked in the high mountain valleys wearing our sneakers without any problems.

Posted by
32202 posts

I normally just use robust low top outdoor shoes for both street use and light hiking, and so far they've worked fine on the trails I've used. That includes the trails of the Cinque Terre, which can be uneven and rocky in places.

As I recall, if you take the chair lift uphill from Castelrotto to Marinzen, you can hike to Alpi di Siusi and then take the bus back.