Please sign in to post.

Hiking in Cinque Terre

Arriving in early October, 2013 and wanted to hike just from one or two villages but am unclear what trails are open. Understand that not all repairs have not been made from flood of 2011. National Park site has not been updated since 2012.
Any recent travelers hiked? Would Vernazza to Corniglia be open? Thanks

Posted by
6898 posts

Ellen, of the four most popular trails, the easier and shorter trails from Riomaggiore to Manarola (via dell'Amore)and from Manarola to Corniglia remain closed. The longer trails between Corniglia and Vernazza and from Vernazza to Monterosso are open. Many other trails in the CT park are open.

Posted by
541 posts

I just returned from here and did the hikes. Monterosso to Corniglia are open. The trail from #1 to #2 towns are closed for awhile. The other two were closed when I was there but were supposed to be open soon.

Posted by
32212 posts

Ellen, I was there a week or two ago and the No. 2 trails from Monterosso to Vernazza and Vernazza to Corniglia were open at that time. The trail from Corniglia to Manarola is expected to open any day (may be open now?) There's an extensive network of other trails besides the No. 2 trails but they travel higher and take longer. If you want to hike, that's the place to do it! Just to clarify, the No. 2 trails weren't specifically damaged by the Oct. 2011 floods. They're often closed at one time or another due to slides or other "normal" events in that area. The Via dell'Amore is closed due to a bad rock slide that occurred last Sept., which injured four Australian tourists. Have a great time in the CT!