Please sign in to post.

Hiking in Cinque Terre

We will be staying several days in the Cinque Terre in June and hiking all the trails between the villages. How rough are the trails? Will ordinary walking shoes or sandals be OK?

Posted by
10344 posts

Kathy: Most walkers/hikers you see on most of these trails (the ones that are not paved, most are not paved) are in walking shoes. But some do it in sandals. The trails that are steep are definitely not paved, and especially going downhill where it's steep, walking shoes protect your feet/toes more than sandals and provide more stability, especially if you're not as young as you used to be. But some do the trails in sandals. If you have a choice between the two types of footwear, most choose walking shoes for trails of this type.

Posted by
32206 posts

Kathy,

As Kent mentioned, Sandals would probably not be the best choice (although I've seen younger hikers wearing just rubber flip-flops). Walking shoes would be the better choice.

The trails vary in terms of terrain and difficulty. The two most challenging trails are from Monterosso to Vernazza and Vernazza to Corniglia. The trail from Corniglia to Manarola is relatively easy in comparison and the famed via del'Amore from Manarola to Riomaggiore is mostly paved (very easy!).

There used to be a small Bar along the via del'Amore where hikers could have a cool "beverage" and a snack and enjoy the ocean view. I'm assuming that's still there?

Note that a Pass is required to hike the trails. There ARE people in small wooden booths checking passes at the entrance/exit at each of the trails.

Happy travels!

Posted by
2297 posts

We hiked from Monterosso to Vernazza last June. It was 97 F and we all were in sandals. However, they were pretty solid Rockports or the like, better profile than most walking shoes. I saw people wearing flip-flops but would never do that myself, too slippery. It's not really rough terrain, gravel and some steps in many places. It was only the heat that turned this into a strenous hike for us - and no, despite what everybody told us there was NO breeze from the sea. Otherwise, it didn't feel difficult to us (2 adults, 2 kids).

Posted by
6898 posts

The 4 trails get increasinly difficult as you go north. The first trail takes 25-30 minutes and is almost level. The second trail is not bad either. The third and fourth trail is more difficult. As for shoes, we saw numerous young people in flip-flops. Some even had sturdier hiking boots hanging from their backpacks. The Germans are more serious. Nice hiking boots and hiking poles. They shoos the trails. My wife and I had sturdier low sport shoes with good soles. They worked fine.

Posted by
166 posts

Hi Kathy,

I would vote that ordinary walking shoes or sandals would be OK. I did the hikes in leapord print satin mules, which I guess falls into the category of flip flops. The only thing that was a bit tricky with this was that some of the rocks were pretty tough and I could really feel their shape under the thin soles of my shoes. But walking sandals are probably a bit more substantial anyways.

I think the most important thing is taking shoes that are already really broken in and that you have practice spending long hours walking around in them.

I did the hike in the afternoon and it was HOT. I wished I would have brought multiple bottles of water, I would def. stock up if I were to do it again. Have fun, it's beautiful!!

Jenny

PS: Some bits of the trail were REALLY narrow between Vernazza and Corniglia. It was almost a little bit scary, in my opinion. Though I am not renowned for my bravery.

Posted by
65 posts

My husband and I just returned from Italy where we spent 4 nites in CT. We hiked all the trails and only had decent walking shoes. Walking from Riomaggiore to Corniglia is no problem. Like the others said the trails to and from Vernazza are the more strenuous and though we were fine I think I would have been more comfortable in my boots. Now that I'm in my 50's I'm a little more cautious on the trail than I was when I was 20. I would have liked the ankle support for the downhill. If you've got short legs some of steps down can be fairly steep. Enjoy. It's absolutely gorgeous.

Posted by
12172 posts

It's far from the hardest hiking I've seen. The trail can be a little steep up or down hill at times but, even then, it's more like climbing stairs.

Rubber flip flops wouldn't work well because they don't have much traction and don't do well going up or down hill.

Sturdier sandals would be fine but nothing with straps that might break easily or bottoms without some traction.

Posted by
113 posts

You'll be more apt to slip in sandals unless they are good sturdy hiking-type sandals; sneakers are fine. As said below, from twon #1 to #2, anything is fine. But from #3 to #4 (Vernazza)it is steeper and the trail is rougher.

Posted by
63 posts

Hello. On the following link you can find useful information for hiking the Cinque Terre.

On this link you find video of the Cinque Terre with interesting views of the paths so you can have a precise idea.
Bye

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks everyone for your help. We are off in a few days and looking forward to this trip!