Please sign in to post.

Help with Northern Italy Trip in May/June 2016?

My husband and I are planning 2 weeks in northern Italy in late May/early June. This is our first visit to Italy and we hope to strike a balance of seeing sights, and also experiencing some of the country. We love to walk and be outdoors. We are thinking of flying into into Venice and out of Milan (have to book soon!) and traveling by train to Florence and CT. Where else should we go? We are budget travelers. Any and all help is appreciated!

Posted by
11351 posts

With 2 weeks, Venice, Florence and the Cinque Terre are enough, but you could add in Lucca without needing a car.
Venice - 4 nights
Florence - 4 nights
Lucca - 2 nights
Cinque Terre - 3 nights
Milan - 1 night before flying out

You need to make reservations ASAP for lodging. May and June get very busy.

Posted by
20216 posts

Check the prices for a round trip to Milan, often a lot cheaper than Venice. It is very easy to get to Venice from Milan Malpensa with a single train change at Milano Centrale station. Trains go at least every hour from Milan and take about 2 1/2 hours.

Posted by
24 posts

This is very helpful--thanks! Does anyone have recommendations for accommodations in those places? We are budget travelers and enjoy small local places in good locations, but can be off the beaten path.

Posted by
101 posts

Im also planning to visit Italy this June for my first European vacation :)
I have booked a room in Monterosso at Hotel Villa Steno. I chose Monterosso as it will be my last stop of a three week vacation and I plan on relaxing, drinking up the local scene and wine and also catch some beach time (under the umbrella) also I felt the need to book asap.

I think of myself as a budget traveller but Ive gone for location over savings this time around.
I also booked Hotel Davanzati in Florence. The location looks great plus I will enjoy the breakfast and also happy hour every day with free wine and appys. Nice for a solo traveller to mingle and I wont need much dinner after that plus gelato lol.

Again i've never been so no advice just sharing where I'm staying. Maybe see you there :)

Posted by
906 posts

No accommodations recommendations.

Consider staying a couple of nights in Montecatini Terme. It is right on the train line between Lucca and Florence. It isn't as touristy as Lucca (Lucca is a great city) and it is a quaint little town. You can easily get to Lucca, 5 Terre, and Florence from here.

Posted by
96 posts

Milan can be quite expensive. We've stayed there overnight in the past to cut a long train ride into two parts. I'm glad that there are now affordable flights that save you hours of your vacation time. We found an "affordable" hotel not too far from the Duomo called London Hotel. It is clean and safe, the room we had was very small, but the price is about $150 a night. They have a website.

Posted by
616 posts

Frankly, I am not sure I would go to Cinque Terre. You will need at least 3 full days (4 nights) in Venice and the same amount in Florence.
You say you are 'budget' travellers, what does this mean for you? How old and how fit are you? Do you like walking in hilly areas?
You must be aware that cities are usually more expensive than villages for the same room comfort. However, you might sometimes be in the middle of nowhere, savoring calmness and observing birds, wild boars, foxes or flowers and plants.

If you want to go to the seaside, I would rather choose Talamone ( so very nice) or Copalbio or Poto Ercole ( had a small hotel near the port) or Porto San Stefano or Orbetello.
Not so long ago We decided to go in Southern Tuscany for our vacation. All our hotels were in the range of 50-70 Euros for a double room or one bedroom apartments. We sometimes went to agritourisms that were away 4 Kms from restaurants or small shops. We are good walkers, may rain or wind blast, so we did not mind. We discovered really nice villages and towns. We did love Pitigliano which was a day trip for us. We went to the Saturnia terms in the wild and that was a real treat to be in the hot waters while it was really cold outside.
I would have to look for the names of the hotels we went to but most of them were referred to on booking. Do not hesitate if need for more help.

Posted by
616 posts

4 nights in Venice
4 nights in Florence
4-5 nights in Tuscany. ( depends your likings but so many different things to see). Siena is a must, Lucca not far behind.

Both Bus and train services are good in Tuscany but you should sometimes ask in Tabaccaio schedule for buses, location of particular bus stop etc..

Posted by
11351 posts

For lodging based on my recommendations above, if the following are not available, try Booking.com for a search.

Venice - 4 nights - B&B Ai Taglipietra is very nice, as is Ca'Angeli
Florence - 4 nights - Hotel David
Lucca - 2 nights - B&B La Romea is superb
Cinque Terre - 3 nights - Harder. Many here recommend Monterosso for there are more choices. Check R.S. book and start emailing.
Milan - 1 night before flying out - Hands down, Hotel Berna.