Please sign in to post.

Help with March Itinerary

Yes, we know it's cold in March but there are far fewer tourists. We're thinking of 21 days and wonder if we are trying to do too much as we like slow travel. Have been to Siena, San G., Florence and Rome before. We're in the early stages of planning our next trip and are thinking of the following:
Flying into Naples (or Rome)
6 nights -- Sorrento with visits to Naples, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Positano and Amalfi.
4 nights -- Rome to see what we missed the first time
3 nights -- Cinque Terre
3 nights -- Lucca, visit Pisa on the way there
4-5 nights -- Venice
Fly out of Venice
We'll be using public transportation. Is this doable? Too much travel time? We thought Rome & Sorrento would be warmer in early March hence we start there. Is there a better arrangement of cities?

Posted by
187 posts

We LOVED Italy in March. We don't like heat or crowds so we always travel off season.

I think your plans are doable. With it being the off season, you can always just decide not to do something if you feel you're moving too fast. That's what we did. We nixed a day trip from Rome just so we could have a day to wander.

Have fun. I'd definitely go back again in March.

Posted by
1507 posts

Steve - Actually - it's 6 days in Sorrento and then 4 in Rome. And are you saying its good to be a slow traveller? We were in Italy 03/2009 and spent 6 days in Rome and we loved it but felt we were rushing around to see everything. With 4 nights this time, we should be able to relax & just enjoy the atmosphere while revisiting some neighborhoods & visiting new ones. We like to feel what it's actually like to be someplace.
Although it's still a tentative itinerary, we're glad both of you think the plan makes sense.

Posted by
15584 posts

It sounds good. I have a few suggestions.

CT - I have heard that the weather impacts enjoyment a lot - rain can make it just not fun at all. You will have some time on the Adriatic coast, so I'd skip the CT in March.

Instead, I would spend a couple of days in Verona (which I love) and a couple of days in Ravenna. The Byzantine mosaics are amazing and the town is charming. I was in Verona in February and even in the chill and drizzle, there were lots of people out and about till quite late at night.

From Tuscany to Ravenna to Verona to Venice (are you spending a few days there? Venice is my 3rd favorite city in the world)

Posted by
515 posts

We made a huge mistake goine to italy in late march. The kids were on spring break, so they were at every attraction smoking, gabbing on there cell phones, horribly rude, no manners, and just plain loud. WHen we go back to Europe we are going in September or October. It was in the low 70's when we were there.