Please sign in to post.

Help with Itinerary June 2010

Hello all. I am trying to plan a 2 week honeymoon in Italy and need a little bit of help in the number of days per city.

We want to fly into Venice and leave from Rome. Cities we want to visit in between: Tuscany (Florence, Sienna), Verona (if time), Cinque Terre, Positano/Amalfi Coast.

I have heard not to spend more than 2 days in Venice and we want most time in Rome as there is a lot to see. We plan on traveling (besied flying into Venice and out of Rome) by train. Is this suggested? Or would renting a car be more affordable/practical?

Any help with a rough draft of an itinerary or other places to visit would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Posted by
4152 posts

I would split it up like this:

2 days in Vencie

train to Florence

4 days in Florence

Daytrip to Sienna

train to Amalfi

2 nights in amalfi coast or positano

train back to Rome

5 nights in Rome

If part of your 14 days includes your travel days then I would bypass Amalfi and save it for your anniversary trip. I would add another night to Florence doing a daytrip to Pisa.

Donna

Posted by
204 posts

Matthew

I propose

Day 1 travel to Venice

Venice 2 days

Florence 3

Day trip to Sienna 1 day

Train to CT 2 days

Train to Sorrento - 1 day

Sorrento - side trip to Capri or Positano by ferry - 2 days

Train back to Rome 3 days

I am assuming you have 14 days plus 2 days travel.

If not I would forgo this time the Amalfi coast as you will surely be back to Italy.

Posted by
348 posts

Hello Matt, David from Costa Mesa CA. We are going June 14 -28. Minus two days of travel that leaves us 13 days. We are doing 4 nights Lake Lugano ( you could do 3 night Venice), then 5 nights in Florence with day trips to Siena, Bologna maybe CT, then 4 night Rome. I imagine you have 12 days in Italy with 2 days of travel. I would pick Venice 2-3 days, Rome 4 days, Florence 3-4 days and one other location 2-3 days.

Posted by
7209 posts

I agree with Donna, give the Cinque Terre a miss and head for Sorrento/Positano/Amalfi Coast instead.

Sorrento was beautiful, but I was less than impressed with the CT. Also in June the sea will still be very very cool. Amalfi Coast is much further south and the water will be a bit warmer...but still cool.

Posted by
15585 posts

Guess I'm in the minority here, but I think Venice is much more romantic than Florence. On a honeymoon, I'd go for 3 days in Venice. Florence is art, art, art, but the city is the least picturesque of all Tuscany.

I loved Verona, and highly recommend spending a day there.

Posted by
524 posts

I agree with Chani...for honeymooners (or even non-honeymooners) - I would give Venice 3 nights and less to Florence.

Venice is gorgeous, relaxing and fun to explore. Lots of things to do there.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you all. I got a lot of good options as far as where to go/not go and for how long. We are going to also go talk to a travel agent to see what works best for out budget. Thanks again.

Posted by
58 posts

Matthew, if you have not seen them, go to one of the Major book stores--( (
( try Vromans on Colorado Blvd, Pasadena) and look and Rick Steves 2010 "Italy" and "Venice"--lots of his first hand up to date ideas for travel, sleeping, eating and touring.
Wish you both the best!