Please sign in to post.

Help with Itinerary

Hello everyone I've narrowed my trip to destinations in different parts of Italy not sure where to go first. My destinations are Rome, Sicily Western area, Amalfi coast, Salerno or Naples and Calabria to visit some relatives. Idealy I would like to land in Lamezia visit family for 4 nights and then not sure where to go from there. Our trip will be 4 weeks, giving us enough time 4 nights at least.
My travels in Sicily are San Vito lo Capo, Palermo, Cefalu and Taoromina, from there we can do some day trips, not sure what order makes most sense and where car would be most necessary. I was thinking to book through travel agent that has Europe expertise, but I wonder if it would cost alot more? Any advise would be much appreciated. Thank you

Posted by
7668 posts

Your interests take in quite a large area.

Having been to Italy several times, I always recommend for first time to visit Rome, Florence and Venice. It you have more time include the Naples area (Capri, Sorrento, Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast).

Four weeks is great, understand your interest in Sicily and Calabria, but I would not miss Florence and Venice.

Posted by
8447 posts

aamiran, assuming you're in the US. The subject of using travel agents comes up often, and usually generates some heated discussion. Lots of opinions, and this forum in general leans to the "plan it yourself" way of thinking. A good TA with experience with Europe at a tourist level, seems to be difficult to find. And usually skews to the higher end of things (like American business style chain hotels, for example). The local neighborhood TA may not have that experience, especially for cities and towns outside the major metropolitan areas. Rick Steves does offer some consultation services: consultants for a fee.

Nevertheless, the first thing they're likely to ask is "what dates do you want to fly". In the old days, TAs got commissions from airlines, tour companies, and hotels. Nowadays, you pretty much have to pay them a fee for their services. For example, we used a TA once to book airline reservations for a more complicated itinerary, and it cost us $75USD per person. The other thing they will need to know (whether you use a TA or not) is the level and cost of hotels you want to stay in.

A good guidebook would help identify issues you may not have thought of, and give you an idea of hotels. .

My only suggestion as far as itinerary is to book multi-city fares (into Rome, out of Palermo (or vice versa), to avoid backtracking

Posted by
11322 posts

What time of year? Always helpful to know what heat and crowds will be like before advising you.

It’s great you have 4 weeks! One thing that hits me is that Taormina is the opposite side of Sicily from your other spots. It is an outlier and I would consider putting it on a “next time” list when you can include Eastern Sicily sites.

Posted by
2956 posts

From Calabria you can take a train to Taormina (3h 30m) that requires two changes. A train from Taormina to Cefalu requires a transfer taking 3h 30. You can also rent a car in Taormina and drive to Cefalu (2h 45m). A train from Cefalu to Palermo takes 1h and a car takes 1h 15m. You’ll need a car to visit San Vito lo Capo (2h). You might be able to purchase tickets on https://www.thetrainline.com/.
You can take an overnight ferry from Palermo to Salerno and sleep in a cabin: https://ssl.directferries.com/. From Salerno you can take a direct train to Naples (45-minutes) and a train from Naples to Rome (1h 15m) that is most likely nonstop.

Posted by
27122 posts

Should you decide to rent a car for part of your time in Sicily (which might be helpful, depending on what you want to do in the San Vito lo Capo area), be aware that driving in Palermo is something no one seems to advise. I spent a good bit of time in the city as a pedestrian in 2015, and my immediate impression was that driving there would be terrifying. There are few traffic signals, making it a challenge even for pedestrians. Driving there would be, for me, one of those "you couldn't pay me enough" situations.

Posted by
14 posts

Hi I am from Canada, this is my second trip to Italy, planning to go in last two weeks of July and first two weeks of August. My biggest concern was after landing in calabria not sure what order in a convenience way to start our travels to the south. Thank you for your advice, renting a car to go to San Vito lo capo after we visit Palermo and Cefalu for sure. We will probably be wise to fly to Rome from Naples and then stay for 4 nights and fly home. Any little piece of advice is helpful. Thank you everyone for your responces.

Posted by
11322 posts

Naples to Rome is a great train trip. Absolutely no need to complicate it with flying.

Posted by
27122 posts

Naples to Rome is less than 75 minutes by train.

It does make sense to fly from Palermo to Naples after you finish your Sicilian sojourn. It's a very long train ride. The night train from Rome to Sicily was a miserable experience for me. I believe there's a ferry to Naples from somewhere in Sicily (probably overnight), but I have no experience with it.