Hi all. I'm super nervous to put this out there because of all the changes I'm probably going to be told to make, but as I've never been to Italy before, I'm looking for some serious guidance. My friend and I are planning a trip at the end of August (not the ideal time, I know... but the ONLY time in our schedules). Looking for around 12, maybe 13 days, mostly depending on the best flight deal we can find. Not sure that we're ever going to make it back to Italy so we really want to get to as much as humanly possible. Neither of us are HUGE museum fanatics, so I don't know that we need as much time in some places as other might (ex: Rome). So, here we go:
- Day 1- Fly into Rome (early AM), Rome all day
- Day 2- Rome
- Day 3- Early train to Naples/Sorrento
- Day 4- Sorrento/Naples/AC?
- Day 5- Rent car in Sorrento/Naples, Drive to Tuscany (Orivieto/Assisi). Sleep in Assisi
- Day 6- Drive to Siena, Sleep in Siena
- Day 7- Drive to Florence, Drop off Car
- Day 8- Florence
- Day 9- Early train to Cinque Terre, sleep in CT
- Day 10- Hike CT, sleep in CT?
- Day 11- LONG train to Venice??
- Day 12- Venice/Murano?
- Day 13- Fly Home
We weren't originally going to do anything south of Rome, but then another friend said how beautiful it is and so we added it to the itinerary. I have no idea where the best place is to rent/drop off a car, and it sounds like the train to Venice from the Cinque Terre is ridiculous. And then there's which Tuscan cities to visit and how to even start planning hotels.... HELP!