Please sign in to post.

Help with Itinerary

We are 10 healthy, active retirees traveling in May 2013-staying for 18 to 20 days in Italy. Our current flexible itinerary: Fly into Rome, 3 nights in Rome-we have been before-maybe fly into Milan? travel to Genova, 3 nights in Genova, for access to Cinque Terre-we picked Genova to avoid 3 train tranfers getting to Menaggio Travel to Menaggio, Lake Come, 7 nights,this cannot be changed, has been paid, need suggestions for day trips. Travel to the Dolomites or Venice, the question is do we spend two nights in the Dolomites and two nights in Venice, or do we spend 4 nights in one place and take a day trip to the other? The biggest thing we want to avoid is an 8 hour day traveling by train, because of transfers, etc. If you were renting vans for 7 days, which 7 days, and where would you pick up and drop off? Traveling back to Milan for a flight out, or fly out of Venice? Is there an artsy area in Milan much like Navona, where we should be looking to stay? As we get closer, I will be asking for recommendations for restaurants and hotels. Thank you for any and all of your recommendations.
Sammie

Posted by
3580 posts

With a group of 10, staying in Genova makes some sense as a base for traveling to CT. It's over an hour by train to Monterosso from there. The advantage being that people in the group can split up and explore independently. A day trip to Santa Margharita (sp) or Portofino, a trip to one or more CT towns, a day spent in Genova, etc. I would choose 4 nights in Venice with sidetrips to Dolomites. This, too, gives the individuals in the group flexibility to "do their own thing" if they wish. Lake Como. With 7 nights (6 days) you can ferry around the lake to other villages, even going as far as the town of Como, if you wish. From Menaggio there is probably bus transportation over the mountain to the next Swiss town (Lugano?) It is easy to take a daytrip into Milan from Menaggio; just take the ferry to Varenna and the one-hour train ride from there into Milan. It's worthwhile to see the cathedrat (duomo) there and the covered shopping center nearby. Menaggio, itself, is a nice town with shops, restaurants, etc. I remember a super-modern self-cleaning public toilet there. You might rent the van for exploring Tuscany. Find lodging in an agritourismo and explore from there. The van trip might fit in between Genova and Milan. Looking at your schedule, I don't see that you have 7 days to spend on a van rental. Maybe 3 or 4.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank You Swan we are so grateful for all suggestions.
We have spent a week in Tuscany touring hill towns. Our favorite is Montone--might be in Umbria.

Posted by
381 posts

Take Swnas suggestion on the day trip to Lugano from Lake Como area.