Please sign in to post.

Help with Itinerary

Hi everyone, my first post here. Wanted to come to Florence from Paris, stay in Florence for four nights, with one day being used for a day trip to Venice.

Upon leaving, heading to CT for three to four nights...my wife and I are both 30, no kids, love going to the beach during the day, enjoying the food at night, etc. Would Monterrosso al Mare be recommended vs. Vernazza?

After CT, wanted to take the train to Rome for two days, as we were there last year, and then head back to the States.

Do I need more days in Florence? Less and more in CT? Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading!

Posted by
1201 posts

Most of these dicussions remind me of what Italy was like in earlier history, a group of warring city/states.

Right now we've got the Florentines vs. the Venetians.

If you aren't "art/museum" people how did Florence get on the agenda? While there are other things in Florence, the city stands out as a repository for Italian Renaissance art.

Posted by
1201 posts

You might want to consider flying into Venice, staying at least one night then training to Florence. I believe Easyjet flies from CDG to VCE.

While technically possible to do Venice as a daytrip from Florence, it makes for a long day. Plus Venice is really at her best in the early morning and late evening.

Posted by
23268 posts

Concur with Ron, Venice really is not a day trip from Florence. It can be done but the big question is WHY?? In someways I would consider saving Venice for another trip.

Posted by
3580 posts

My first visit to Venice was on a daytrip from Florence. It was many years before I got back. Venice is walkable and fairly compact; in my opinion, a daytrip works fine. I have stayed in Monterosso al Mare many times, at Mueble Agavi (in the RS books). I prefer the convenience to the water and train station. Monterosso is the only beach town of the 5. Your itinerary sounds fine to me; that's the way I would do it.

Posted by
340 posts

Paul, I would agree with Ron. Starting in Venice makes for a more direct route and one fewer train trip. Cinque Terre is lovely, but we found that 2 nights there was plenty when you consider the length of your trip and all the things there are to do in the other locations you plan to visit. Venice is easily worth 1 night, but we prefer at least 2 or 3 so you can really explore and go to the other islands. People will say Venice is expensive but, if you plan well, it doesn't need to be. There are many lodging options available that fit any budget. Keep your wits about you when you choose where to eat since that is where you can spend big $$$ needlessly if you are not careful.

That said, we really loved CT and hope to go there for a longer stay in the future, when we don't plan to see 3 other cities, too, in 2 weeks. Regarding Vernazza vs. Monterosso: you will have more true beach and a larger town in Monterosso but Vernazza is much more what the CT is all about. All towns are easily reached by short train rides, or you can hike. The region is wonderful and it really just depends on what you like.

Posted by
9110 posts

Twisted perspective from a cynic:

I walked the CT "blue trail" (down and back) and managed to do it all in daylight, stopping for a short while in each town for beer/coffee and a brief look around. Admittedly, they've all fuzzed in my brain, but they were all much alike, but all interesting. Were I to go back, a couple of days would be enough (depending on time of arrival and departure from the area).

Venice, which I don't care for one bit (but have been to a couple of times) cannot be done fairly in a day trip considering the distance/travel time involved from Florence. You'd need a good ten or twelve hours on the ground, minimally, to do it any kind of justice.

When I finally gave in and took my art-loving-museum-going wife to Florence she insisted that we spend four days. Thank goodness we'd booked a place up in the hills south of the city. Including the train trip in and out, she had seen all she wanted the first day. We spent the rest of the time making loops to the hill towns.

Boil down:

Monterosso is the one with more of a beach, so maybe that's where you should put your CT emphasis. It's also larger and has more places with interesing grub than Vernazza.

Rob some Florence time to give to Venice or skip it. If you do skip Venice, you might want to consider spending a night and a day in Perugia on the way to Rome.

Posted by
2876 posts

You didn't say how you're planning to get from Florence to Venice, but be aware that Venice is 275 Km from Florence (about 165 miles). So a day trip involves a 550 Km round trip.

Posted by
5 posts

I wanted to take the train early, walk around, eat a later lunch, and come back. I wanted to extend Florence a day just to accomodate that.

To be honest, we are not big museum/art goers either, so I was wondering if 3-4 days in Florence was enough, too little, because we like to see as much as we can in a day, as another post mentioned.

Posted by
430 posts

Knowing that you are not arty museumy people, your plan could be fine as-is. A lot of the appeal of Florence is the art.

For researching rail travel times, go to http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/.

It looks like you could, if you want... take the 9:30am train to Venice arriving about 11:30am, have lunch in Venice, spend the afternoon in Venice, then catch the 5:30pm or 6:30pm back to be in Florence by 7:30p or 8:30p for dinner. (EDIT: Meant to also include that the price for this roundtrip Venetian jaunt is 43 to 56 Euro, depending on exact train and how far in advance you book.)

I could get harpooned for this... but I'm one of the few Italy experienced travelers who just doesn't care for Venice very much -- doing it as a side-trip sounds just right to me.

In the CT, since you said "beach" and "night", Monterrosso al Mare is definitely a better choice than Vernazza (though we did enjoy Vernazza's little port square after dark). Menterrosso also has many more food choices, and more food choices open later.

Also, since the only thing mentioned in context with 'love' was those beaches and food... (bracing for another possible harpoon...) I'd consider stealing one more day from Florence and using that 1 more day in the CT.

Trying to listen to what you're asking, and trying to accomodate what it sounds like you enjoy most... your trip might be best like this:

3 nights in Florence including 1 side trip to Venice >>> CT for 4 to 5 nights >> Rome for 2 days.

Posted by
1 posts

Another thought from a non-museum person, what about more time in Rome? We did lots of outdoor sites (Colosseum, Forum, Pantheon, Circus Maximus, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps), climbed the Vatican dome, hung out in piazzas and visited only a couple of small museums. We also loved Venice, it's such a different place. Cinque Terra is on the itinerary for Sept. so let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Posted by
52 posts

Paul,

I remember being 30 with no kids...my wife and I travelled everywhere and packed in as much as we could. No regrets...we're just not the relax-oriented types. We have a nice yard at home that's perfect for relaxing in.

I know some of my friends thought I was crazy for taking my wife to Paris for her 40th birthday...went to the Moulin Rouge, ate like kings...basically had the time of our lives...that was 4 days total...we still laugh about the jet-lag we had when we got home.

My two cents on your itinerary...I'd shave a night off of the Florence stop and add it to Venice. Have dinner at A La Valigia...it's cheap, delicious and full of loud college kids. Monterosso seems like the better place for you to stay in the CT...you can visit Vernazza and all of the other CT towns by hopping on a trian or hiking.

If you've been to Rome, you've probably seen the major sights...this time try and visit Trastevere...great restaurants, you'll feel at home.

Have fun...do all that you can...I'm envious of your lifestyle. As soon as the kids graduate college, my wife and I will be back on the road.

Posted by
5 posts

It's been great reading all of the back and forth replies. Paul, you and your wife sound just like me(40) and my husband (31). We do not have any children and are both very active as well. I posted a comment similar to yours a couple of days ago with the same dilema and questions. As with you, we will enjoy seeing all of the history but do not appreciate the museums as much as we probaby should. Anyway, thanks for bringing up the questions. Your itenary sounds great! I like the idea of one less day in Florence and add it to the time in CT. I think you would enjoy exploring some areas north of CT for a day. What month are you traveling? We are debating between May/June or September. Good luck!

Posted by
340 posts

Okay, I posted earlier this morning but, after reading some of the other comments and re-reading your posts, Paul, I actually have another thought. If you are really more interested in beach, sun, food, etc. why not consider saving Venice for another trip and going south to the Amalfi Coast? If art and museums are not so much your interests, see the highlights of Florence in a day and a half; head to CT for 2 or 3 days; on to Rome (or bypass Rome), wind down your trip in Sorrento as a base to see Pompeii, Vesuvius, Amalfi Coast, Capri, etc.; fly home from Naples or Rome. Perhaps save Venice and Lake Como for a future trip. Actually, you're going to be in Italy, so pretty much anywhere you will be will be wonderful.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks everyone for your posts.

Last year, my wife and I went to Rome, Capri, and a village called Nocelle, above Positano on the Amalfi Coast. We stayed in Italy for a total of two weeks, and loved it before heading to Greece as we have family there.

Being both teachers, and without kids, we figured we'd like to do one more trip of this caliber. Our entire itinerary consists of:

Barcelona for 4 nights
Paris for 6 nights
Florence for 4 nights (with day trip to Venice for now)
Cinque Terre (probably Monterrosso for 3-4 nights)
Rome for 2 nights
Leave for US

Rome we loved so much we would go again just to be able to walk around, eat, shop, etc. Not to mention, it's cheaper to fly out of. I see what people are saying about Venice, I'll think about it. I love this board, as I'm constantly getting emails during the day saying more people have weighed in on my itinerary. And being home from school today because of this impending snowstorm, I can't wait to read more!

Thanks again,
Paul

Posted by
3250 posts

Hi Paul,
Since it's a snow day (for you) and you're open to possibilities, I'll give my 2 cents! The first part of your trip sounds perfect...Barcelona (4 nights); Paris, (6 nights). For Italy, I agree with the "skip Venice" group--you'll want to plan another trip to do northern Italy at some point and go to Venice then. Rather than Florence, consider staying in Siena (3 nights) and taking a day-trip to Florence; Monterrosso (3 nights rather than 4); then add 2 nights to Rome for a total of 4.

Posted by
5 posts

Ok....change of plans

Based on expenses we've had to slightly modify or at least come up with two more options/itineraries. What are your thoughts on these:

Option/Itinerary A:
Fly into Paris (6 nights), train to Barcelona (4 nights), fly to Florence (4 nights with day trip to Venice), train to Cinque Terre (3 nights), train to Rome (2 nights), back to US.

-Pricey, maybe too much in too little time?

Option/Itinerary B:
Fly into Paris (5 or 6 nights), train to San Sebastian (3 or 4 nights), drive one morning early to Running of Bulls in Pamplona, then train or car to Barcelona (3 or 4 nights)

-Feels a bit on the empty side

Option/Itinerary C:
Fly into Paris (5 nights), train to San Sebastian (3 nights), drive one morning early to Running of Bulls in Pamplona, then train or car to Barcelona (3 nights), Florence (3 nights - NO DAY TRIP TO VENICE), Rome (2 nights), then home

-Leaving Venice, CT out for this year, and since we go to Greece often, maybe doing a CT/Venice then Greece trip in the future?

As always, speak the truth.

Thanks,
Paul

Posted by
340 posts

I vote for option C. The Italy/Greece trip in the future sounds like a good plan.

" . . .we go to Greece often. . ." and you were in Rome and southern Italy recently. What do you do that takes you to Europe so often? I would like to apply for this job!