Please sign in to post.

Help with Northern Italy itinerary

My daughter & I are flying in and out of Milan, flying in Oct 15 at 9 am. We have 12 nights. We plan to spend the first night in Milan mainly as I wasn't able to get the hotel I wanted in CT until our second night in Italy. We plan to see as much as we can that first day in Milan. I am looking at the Hotel Canada on the via Sofia.We have three nights reserved in Montesorro at Il Giardino Incantato. We also want to go to Venice for three nights, do a day trip to Lake Como, and one day at the Milan Expo. I don't know if it would be a good idea to wait to go to the Expo the last weekend it's open (we would go either Saturday or Sunday, Oct 24 or Oct 25) or reduce our CT stay by one night and go to the Expo the second day we're in Italy.

So, we have one night in Milan, maybe two, two to three in CT, and three in Venice, and for sure the last night in Milan as we leave at 9 a.m. on the 26th. That leaves at least two nights open. I think one would have to be in Milan so we can do the Lake Como day trip, or should that be handled differently? I would like to see a bit of Tuscany, maybe between CT & Venice, but I don't know if it's too much travel for too short a stay. Maybe some other towns in the north? I've heard Bergamo Alta is very nice. Can you help me figure out our itinerary?? Thanks much. BTW, we plan to use trains everywhere.

Posted by
7175 posts

If you arrive Oct 15 and depart Oct 26, you only have 11 nights. I prefer this ...
15 Milan
16,17,18 Cinque Terre
19,20,21 Venice
22,23 Lake Como
24,25 Milan
I don't think your schedule allows time in the Tuscan countryside, which you really need to do by car regardless.
You could do this ...
15 Milan
16,17,18 Cinque Terre
19,20 Florence or Siena
21,22 Venice
23,24,25 Milan (day trip to Lake Como)