Please sign in to post.

help with an itinerary

My husband and I took our first trip to Italy in Nov 2014. We visited Rome and Florence for 8 days. Afterward of course I felt our trip was too short, especially our time in Rome. But I fell in love with Italy while there and am already planning our second trip. I am not thinking of returning until March or April 2016 but I am big on organization and want to start early. I planned our first trip all on my own and was pleased with how everything turned out except I do wish we had more time. On our second trip I am planning on 12 days on the ground (1-2 more days is a possibility) and would like to visit Venice, Verona, Bologna with day trips to Parma and Modena, and Ravenna. If time allowed I'd like to visit San Marino as well. Does anyone have any thoughts about this itinerary? I understand as far as weather is concerned, anything can happen, but I would like to hear from travelers who have been to these areas at the time of year I am planning and what the weather was like for them. It wasn't until right before my first trip that I read that Nov was not the best time to go. Although we did get some rain, we were pleased with the weather at that time despite what I had read. So, please reply with any thoughts or comments on my desired itinerary.

Posted by
10344 posts

Can you go after the middle of April, even May?
You have a better chance with the weather then, and the summer onslaught of tourists and heat has not started.
You probably don't want to go again in November, if you have a choice and it sounds like you do.

Posted by
75 posts

Thanks for your response Kent. I am open to changing traveling dates. I did consider May but thought earlier would be more budget-friendly. I've been checking the weather for my planned cities and have noticed lots of rain and perhaps it remains through March. I will definitely consider pushing my trip into April. One of the things I loved about traveling in Nov was that there were very few travelers and no lines anywhere. I'd love that same experience for trip #2.

Posted by
10344 posts

There will be more lines in April than in November.
And March is just too early, if you have a choice. A little extra money is worth the better weather, March compared to after middle of April. Early May even better.
But check online or in Rick's book to try to avoid being there over any major national holidays.