Please sign in to post.

Help me decide....

planning our first trip to Europe (my husband and I) for 2011...
we know we want to go to Rome and Paris
We were thinking of goint to Madrid, then Rome and then Paris 12 days in total with travel
then i started thinking of goig to Rome 3-4 days, then Venice one day, Florence one day and then Paris 3-4 days
What do you guys think....help

Posted by
41 posts

It looks as though you're trying to fit a lot into 12 days, especially since you'll lose quite a bit of time in travel. Florence and Venice both deserve more than one day. I would edit down to a smaller geographic area (Venice/Rome/Florence, perhaps). Will you be spending all of your time in the cities or taking day trips? A day or two in the country can be a great break from the hectic pace of the larger cities and many of my best experiences have been off the beaten path.

Posted by
1317 posts

When you say 12 days in total with travel, I assume that means you have 10 actual days as you will lose one on either end of the trip coming and going. It also sounds like Rome and Paris are your must-sees. If it were my trip, I'd split it right down the middle. Fly into one city, stay 5-6 days, fly to the other city, stay 5-6 days, go home from the second city. This would be an open jaw aka multiple destination itinerary, rather than flying round trip from one city.

If you like a slightly faster pace of travel, then I would say do 3-4 days in Paris and Rome each, and 2 days in Florence. For example, you could fly to Paris, stay a few days, fly to Florence, stay 2 days, then train down to Rome and fly home from Rome.

Don't try to do Madrid, Rome, and Paris. That's 3 countries in less than 2 weeks. You will spend more time in airports or train stations than anywhere else. Venice is also inconveniently located relative to Rome/Florence, although I suppose if you had your heart set on Venice, you could substitute Venice for Florence above, but I still think it would be expensive in terms of cost and time.

Posted by
348 posts

I agree with Liz 100%. really take in and enjoy the two great cities. There is much to see

Posted by
1446 posts

Hi Shira. Your itinerary is definitely too ambitious. You will spend a lot of time on trains or planes in transit from one place to another. I agree with the suggestion to limit yourself to 2 places (maybe Rome & Paris) & then perhaps take some day trips while in each place. In my opinion, both Rome & Paris deserve at least 5 days each so I would definitely not visit Madrid on this trip.