Please sign in to post.

Help w Northern Italy Honeymoon Itinerary :)

Hi there!

I have always had good luck sharing and giving other tips on this forum so figured I would try once more :)

In the beginning stages of planning a two-week honeymoon to northern Italy for next spring/summer. I have been before (did 2 weeks Venice-Florence-Cinque Terre-Amalfi Coast-Rome..it was fast-paced but worked out perfectly ), but my fiance has never been. As my fiancé is a Professor, we’d go once college is out. I am inclined to go late May into the first half of June versus the height of summer to avoid throngs of tourists. When I was last it was the first two weeks of September and was crowded but not too bad and lovely weather.

Thus far my brainstorming for the 2 weeks (would do open jaw flight into Venice but out of Milan) has amounted to:

fly into Venice and 2-3 nights there
2 nights in Cinque Terre
2 additional nights at another Ligurian (less touristy base) to explore and then visit Genoa
Pick up a rental car and 2-3 nights in Piedmont (basing in Neive or Alba)
Drive to Valle d’Aosta and 2 nights there?
End at Lake Maggiore or Lake Orta for a night or 2? Drop off rental
Fly out of Milan.

Had anyone else explored the north and less touristy areas? I ultimately want to split the 2 weeks between 4-5 “home bases.” My absolute musts on this trip are Venice, Ligurian Coast & Piedmont wine country. With our extra nights I am stuck between wanting to do Valle d’Aosta, an Italian lake (Maggiore or Orta) or a city.

My questions are:

• Valle d’Aosta, a lake or a city!??

-In terms of cities, what would be great to visit between Venice and the Ligurian Coast?? Ive already done Florence, but is there another great city to explore (Parma or Verona?)? I could also return to Florence.

• Does anyone have any recommendations with regards to other Ligurian towns to base at and explore? I figured th Cinque Terre will be packed with tourists and I’d love to explore other towns too.

• My fiance loves nature and hiking... is Valle d’Aosta my best bet or are we better off hitting the Dolomites from Venice, and getting rid of something else?

Any advice would be so appreciated- thanks in advance!!

Kapri

Posted by
117 posts

It looks like you have a pretty good start on an itinerary.

I really love Lake Maggiore. There is a lovely town (Stresa -- where hydrangeas grow wild) from which you can take a little ferry to the Borremean Islands. If so, take the tour of the Borremeo Palace and gardens on Isola Bella and have lunch on the island. Stresa and Lake Maggiore are very laid back and relaxed.

I stayed in Verona several years ago and it is a cute town but honestly I am not sure I would go back. I was underwhelmed. I am sure some would disagree.

If you want great food consider Parma and Bologna.

But, if you must choose...I don't think you can make a bad choice -- either Verona or Parma are nice.

I have never been to Valle d'Aosta but I have been to the Dolomites and they are beautiful. I would imagine there is a lot of hiking there but not sure if there is still snow in May. Bolzano is a really cool little town in the Dolomites.

Sounds like it will be a fantastic honeymoon!

Posted by
27112 posts

I liked Padua a lot. There's enough there to fill more than a day, I think, and it's also a good base for a side-trip to Vicenza. Those places are close enough to Venice to be visited from that city, but who wants to pay Venice hotel prices and head out of town for the day?

Posted by
2299 posts

hey capri
you can look at lovevda.com for aosta valley. apathtolunch has info about ligurian coast, under cities/towns. check rome2rio, there is a ferry and train stresa to locarno if you decide to stay on lake maggiore. piemontemio.com has info of area, places to stay, wine, truffles, food and drink. lots of info for you to research. was planning to visit here but plans fell thru. think it's great to get away from the crowds of other cities and enjoy your honeymoon.
aloha