Please sign in to post.

help

Hallo,

I will be staying 5 days in Rome in end december and beginning of januari. So far i have made a travelplan with guide books and Google maps

My question is regarding the weather in Rome during december/januari. Should i bring wintercoat and many sweaters or are shirts and sportjacket also okay?

My last question is that i am looking to buy a prepaid Italian gsm cart with internet bundle. Can you give me information?

Many thanks

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you Sherry. I think i will skip it because people told me that the vatican museum is to bussy in the holiday season and waste of money and time.

Posted by
32212 posts

ln,

Regarding the weather in Rome, have a look at this website for typical temperatures....

http://www.wunderground.com/it/rome

Your profile doesn't indicate where you're from, so I have no idea what temperatures you might be used to.

Regarding the mobile phone question, again it would help to know where you're from. Your home mobile network may provide cost-effective roaming plans.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you for the information. Regardless where i am from it's important for me which clothes i need to bring to Rome in december/Januari. What are the Romans wearing in these winter months? (polo's, dressshirts, sweaters, wintercoats etc?

I don't want to bring my normal gsm phonenumber to Rome for two reasons. The first one i don't want to be bothered by work, social contacts during my holiday and secondly i don't want to purchace a 'holiday' bundle from my regular provider because i had very negative experiences with. So can i buy a italian phone number with a internet bundle in Italy?

Honestly many thanks in advance

Posted by
1949 posts

A problem with traveling in December/January is what to do with a heavy winter coat when on the road in a nice warm train. We went Paris to Lucerne to Florence to Salerno by rail in February and March, and I bought a Marmot Zeus ultralight down jacket that weighs under 1 pound, and when not in use folds up in its own pocket to the size of a softball.

http://www.omcgear.com/marmot-zeus-jacket-men-s-1.html?gclid=CI_d9f3-6skCFYU2gQodhakCTQ

I tested it out in Chicago before leaving and I would say it's toasty down to 25-30 degrees F--rare temps at any time for Rome. And unzipped, it's fine up to the 50's. Best purchase I made for the trip. With that, a fleece, hat & gloves, I was set for the entire journey. Also bought a cheap fold up poncho for rain if I needed it, never used it though.

Posted by
792 posts

You can get a GSM Sim from either Vodafone, TIM, or Wind. They all have very reasonable short-term plans. Visit one of their stores to see your options.

Posted by
32212 posts

ln,

Regarding your mobile phone question, have a look at the comments from Roberto in this thread.....

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/sim-cards-for-cell-phone

Regarding the Rome weather in December and January, the temperature website I posted earlier indicates that daytime "highs" are about 15ºC and "lows" are about 5ºC. I don't know what temperatures you're used to, but with weather like that I'd be very comfortable with a light coat or sweater in the evenings. Taking lighter clothing and "layering" is usually the best idea.